flywheel housing cover, lower

fordmerc

Can I remove the lower flywheel housing cover from below by simply removing the bolts? ('41 120 w/OD) My clutch will not disengage and I am guessing that this is the first  place to inspect to start solving the problem which is of "sudden" onset. (I assume that I will get a diagnostic view of the clutch system). Any comments or advice will be appreciated. 

Edited by fordmerc (see edit history)

I'm stuck! I removed all bolts that seemed to be connected to the cover (except two which I left loose but in to prevent a drop to the floor). I also removed the bolt at the bottom of the transmission. The cover remains in place and no amount of prying or sub-lethal banging seems to break it loose. What am I missing?

John,

Glad you were able to get the bottom cover off. I'd closely inspect the pins and their locating holes for signs of corrosion or for build up of solidified crud which could be the cause of the tight fit. Supposed to be tight but not that tight.

Now on to seeing if you can find what's causing the clutch not to disengage. Please keep us informed of what you find.

Sometimes high humidity conditions and the clutch disc staying in contact with the flywheel and pressure plate during periods of non use will let the friction lining sort of glue itself to the metal so it will not release with the clutch pedal.  Often it can be broken free by depressing the clutch, having it in gear and someone rocking the car but other times you might need to work a long thin metal puttyknifc like object up between the disc and metal to separate the two.  Many use a block of wood between the dash and pedal to keep the clutch depressed and plates separated during extended storage.

I suspect you hit the nail on the head: I can see that the disc remains stuck to the flywheel even when , with the clutch depressed, I can see that the two disc sides are separating; we have had incredible humidity this past  few weeks. 

I like the approach to resolution which I will try. Other solutions like starting the car in gear with wheels off the ground and then applying brakes ,  or dropping the car onto the ground while running in gear sound like disasters waiting to happen.

Edited by fordmerc (see edit history)

All is now well: judicious application of a thin putty knife to both sides of the disc  freed it. The car  is running fine!

With the locating pins almost flush with the flywheel housing they did not present a problem for cover re-installation but I must admit that I used them to align holes for the cover bolts.

Thanks to all for help.