Inner Wheel Bearing Race

Garysriv

Doing the brakes on my '65.  While doing so I am replacing the wheel seals and repacking the bearings.   Left side no problem.  Right side, after removing the seal the inner bearing and race came out.  I assumed the race was worn out, but the new one just drops in.  In retrospect I think a thin spacer came out on disassembly, but it was broken and I tossed it thinking it was part of the seal.  Is this shim a standard part of the assembly or a repair?

Depends how much clearance there is between the hub and race. If the race slides in with no force needed but the clearance is not enough to allow it to move noticeably side to side you can use Loctite Retaining Compound 609. It will make up clearance of about .006" maybe a little more depending on conditions. It will permanently bond the race and it will not spin in the hub. I have used 609 in conditions where a last ditch desperation try was needed and never thought it would work but it has never failed me.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Depends how much clearance there is between the hub and race. If the race slides in with no force needed but the clearance is not enough to allow it to move noticeably side to side you can use Loctite Retaining Compound 609. It will make up clearance of about .006" maybe a little more depending on conditions. It will permanently bond the race and it will not spin in the hub. I have used 609 in conditions where a last ditch desperation try was needed and never thought it would work but it has never failed me.

Yes, this material works well. I would also use a hammer and punch and peen the hub around the entire circumference. The peening will raise a little material and the race will fit a little tighter.

Tom Mooney

• Like 2

On 7/18/2018 at 7:51 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Yes, this material works well. I would also use a hammer and punch and peen the hub around the entire circumference. The peening will raise a little material and the race will fit a little tighter.

Tom Mooney

Found a great solution.  I looked in the Speedi-Sleeve catalog a found a harmonic balancer sleeve with an ID the same as the OD of the bearing race.  Amazingly the height was perfect too. Put some locktite bearing bond around the outside and drove it in.  Perfect fit for bearing and seal now.  Speedi-Sleeve#99256 for your reference....

• Thanks 1