Correct spark plug for a 1921 Premier Touring Car??

tomwallace

I bought a 1921 Premier Touring Car a quite few months ago and I am just now getting time to get the car running.

I have been rewiring the car because the original wire was corroded and void of insulation.
We just replaced the spark plug wires with the correct period wire.

The car had a mix of 2 types of spark plugs. I got info from some source that the replacement plug would be an Autolite 3076. So I got a set and started to take out the old plugs. The old plugs had a lot of soot and looked burnt. So they definitely need replaced.

But the old plugs have a much longer throw than the new Autolites! I am afraid that the new plugs would not deliver the spark to the correct position in the cylinders. See a photo of the plugs below.

Any wisdom or suggestions would be appreciated,

Tom Wallace
Dayton, OH

IMG_2517.JPG

1921 Premier.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tom, nice car.  My brother recently picked up a 1915 Premier.

According to my 1919 Dykes manual, the long plugs that were in your car are 7/8 - 18 plugs with a 1/2" extension.   The Autolite plug you bought is a 7/8-18 standard length.

Also according to Dykes, the 1919 Premier used 7/8-18 standard plugs.  Perhaps someone with a 1921 Dykes can confirm if that changed, but I doubt it.  You probably have the right plugs.

I use the long plugs in my Cadillac (Champion W18) , even though the correct plug is a standard length W14.  I believe it's a hotter plug, good for that oily, sooty combustion.  As long as there's room for the extra length you can probably use either.

Peter

I have some very poor photos of some very old charts. The Premier is said to take a 7/8-18, what looks like manufacturers number JC-43. The picture is like this, so it is standard length.

image.png.48eef57cda0bfa33871b8ce796324100.png  Unfortunately I don't know the year of the chart. But it appears to say the same as Dyke's, referenced above.

• 10 months later...