1990 Reatta Won't Crank

Errol1

I'm having an issue with my 1990. When the key is turned, the dash lights, the accessories will work, but it refuses to crank. I tested the battery - 12.7V. I cleaned the battery and cables for corrosion. Still nothing. Ignition switch? Bad connection at starter?  The car is in a very bad spot to try and lift it, so if I need to get under it I may need to tow it to my garage. But right now, that's what I am expecting.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this!

On my 90, the dash blanks when I turn the key to START. The ignition switch is down at the base of the column, not where the key goes. If you are not getting an error and the dash does not blankk then I suspect the switch is not moving all the way to START

• Like 2

THANK YOU to all of you. 

It was weird!! It was the new key Ace made last month. It worked fine for a month, then boom - nothing. The car starts right up with the old key. Well, the key goes back to Ace Monday. I think it was about $27.

26 minutes ago, Errol1 said:

THANK YOU to all of you. 

It was weird!! It was the new key Ace made last month. It worked fine for a month, then boom - nothing. The car starts right up with the old key. Well, the key goes back to Ace Monday. I think it was about $27.

Glad to hear your problem was that easy to fix. ?

• Like 1

Well, they tell me they have never heard of this problem before. Since it is a chipped key, I assume there is an issue with the chip. I've never had this issue with any of the other Buicks - but they all came with multiple original keys.

Edited by Errol1 (see edit history)