53 Mercury Paint/Trim Codes

AveryMontembeault

I have a bit of a head scratcher here...

I reccently purchased a '53 Mercury Monterey from my grandfather, and I was curious about the history of the car itself. Naturally I started trying to decode the VIN, Style and Body Specific Codes. The VIN was simple enough, as was they style, but the body specific codes, not so much.

Body Specif.

65-366-27G-26

I can figure out the 27G and the 26, but I can't find a matching reference to the 65 or 366 anywhere.

Any ideas?

Paint code 65 is Siren red body with India Black roof. 

Trim 366 is red & black vinyl

The 27G is likely July 1952 (but it could be July 53)  What is your unit sequence on the VIN?

26 is the number of the car that was shipped to that District Service Office that month. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:35 AM, m-mman said:

Paint code 65 is Siren red body with India Black roof. 

Trim 366 is red & black vinyl

The 27G is likely July 1952 (but it could be July 53)  What is your unit sequence on the VIN?

26 is the number of the car that was shipped to that District Service Office that month. 

I'd be curious to know where you might have found that information. I have an original copy of the April '53 Mercury Body Catalog, and in it the trim schemes only run from 79 to 95, and the paint schemes run from 01 to 54 (See pics below). Raven Black is listed as an option, as opposed to India Black, and Siren Red isn't listed at all.  (Though a cursory google search shows that color combo on real cars). Additionally, Black/Red interior combos were listed as options 88 (Leather) and 88A (Vinyl). Perhaps there was a mid-year change in the codes?

thanks

pic 2.jpg

57 minutes ago, 54vicky said:

a thank you to him would be nice

For the record, I didn't see the earlier post until today (Monday) during my lunch break, and wanted to come home from work and consult my documentation in order to facilitate a constructive dialog before replying.

Your snotty comment is both impatient and unfounded. 

This Merc parts book, printed in 1954.

FYI -The farther away from the date of production the less reliable the information will be. 

Paint codes generally stay accurate as time goes by because somebody might want to correctly repaint a 5, 10 or 15 year old car.

However interior and trim codes are commonly dropped or otherwise corrupted because rarely is anyone going to want to match the upholstery on a 5, 10, 15 year old car. Soft trim are also the first parts that manufactures drop and make obsolete so the codes become meaningless early on. 

Just reread your post. The 1960(?) parts book is commonly used. 

You have a April 53 book?  Mine is December 53 Perhaps the red/black combos were added???

Especially if your car was built in July of 1953 - (end of the model year) 

53 Hg info_0001 (464 x 600).jpg

53 Hg info_0002 (464 x 600).jpg

53 Hg info_0003 (464 x 600).jpg

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2018 at 10:30 PM, AveryMontembeault said:

For the record, I didn't see the earlier post until today (Monday) during my lunch break, and wanted to come home from work and consult my documentation in order to facilitate a constructive dialog before replying.

Your snotty comment is both impatient and unfounded. 

I WAITED TO RESPOND MOST THAT ASK A QUESTION  TRY TO REPLY WITH A THANK YOU QUICKLY AS THINGS MOVE QUICKLY BUT NOW YOU DISAGREE WITH THE ANSWER WHY ASK WHEN YOU KNOW? GOOGLE UNFOUNDED.DO NOT REPLY AS i WILL HAVE MOVED ON