ericmac

Cooper Duesenberg at auction

Please, do NOT think for one second the following is in any way a negative view of people that can afford cars of this caliber, they provide the jobs for all the restoration shops and related hobby employment. Every once in a while we have to part with a car to buy what we think is a better one at the time...…………..What did the Collier people find? If you are one of the top six collectors in the country that plan to bid on the SSJ what has been added to your "To Sell" list? Bob 

• Like 1

Everything in life is relative.  When I was a kid with barely two nickels a 1500 dollar GTO seemed like the top of the world. If you happen to be sitting around with a 500 million dollar net worth I think the single SSJ might be more interesting than a dozen “lesser” cars and some extra cash that means nothing to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall a number of years ago this car and the Gable car then owned by Al Fererrara were together at the ACD museum .  Al was there to answer questions for anyone that asked. 

Hey A.J.   it needs whitewalls,  It would harmonize well with the two-tone grey.   I think it will brake  20 large. 

Arguably the most desirable American car ever made, a Duesenberg, an SSJ, one of 2, provenance, wonderful condition, stunning good looks, and not likely to be back on market for a generation (a big consideration). There are perhaps 50-100 or more well heeled Automotive collectors who like this car very much and could lay down $20M+ without even blinking.  So who wants it real bad and why? 2 types, the car aficionado who has always wanted to own the best in the world (with the related bragging rights), and secondly, the speculator who thinks it may eventually be worth double what he/she pays today. Should be an interesting day.

12 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

Arguably the most desirable American car ever made, a Duesenberg, an SSJ, one of 2, provenance, wonderful condition, stunning good looks, and not likely to be back on market for a generation (a big consideration). There are perhaps 50-100 or more well heeled Automotive collectors who like this car very much and could lay down $20M+ without even blinking.  So who wants it real bad and why? 2 types, the car aficionado who has always wanted to own the best in the world (with the related bragging rights), and secondly, the speculator who thinks it may eventually be worth double what he/she pays today. Should be an interesting day.

I couldn't agree more. I know at least four people here in Michigan who have more th han enough money and more than enough interest in driving the csr. Indeed it wil be an interesting auction.  

I have appreciated all the lively interest.

OK, so with all those people of means after it, why didn't it sell privately for the big money?  I'm sure at some point in the last year that the word got out it was going to become available. In fact, I'm fairly positive of that fact.   So, why not go to owner if you have the wherewithal and desire and say here's 20 megalarge, no auction.

I think it's a wonderful car, and a wonderful piece of history as Ed said.  I'm still not convinced it's going to bring crazy money, as in a new record for an American car.  It will be interesting for sure....

I also think it's interesting that virtually all the mega-buck cars are NOT American cars....hard to compete with Royales and Ferraris and such for some reason...

• Like 1

If this car is set to break the record for most expensive Pre WWII American made car, what holds that record now? 

Bob

10 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Cobra was made AFTER WWII what holds the record for Pre War? 

Bob 

I believe the record for pre war is the 1931 Duesenberg Model J long wheelbase coupe, the one with the polished (stainless??) top.  $10,340,000.

One would think the Cooper car would beat that, but it's a crap shoot up in that rarefied air of "money is no object, the object is the object".....

Does anyone remember back then the Wallace Duesenberg broke the $100,000.00 mark? Whatever the Cooper SSJ sells for I think I'd rather have a T head Mercer, 45-90 Stearns and a Type 37A Bugatti, and the leftover funds. Bob 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Curti said:

I recall a number of years ago this car and the Gable car then owned by Al Fererrara were together at the ACD museum .  Al was there to answer questions for anyone that asked. 

Hey A.J.   it needs whitewalls,  It would harmonize well with the two-tone grey.   I think it will brake  20 large. 

You are funny Curt.  Obviously I love the car, but I'm torn on where the price will go.   If we stick with North America there are only a 1/2 a dozen known guys that can float in that space (above 10,000,000) and they are all getting older.  I don't know that I would bet on new money or foreign.

"Shorty's"  like the Super Bearcat bring great money and are very cool but they don't have the wow factor of a long wheelbase car.

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

I believe the record for pre war is the 1931 Duesenberg Model J long wheelbase coupe, the one with the polished (stainless??) top.  $10,340,000.

One would think the Cooper car would beat that, but it's a crap shoot up in that rarefied air of "money is no object, the object is the object".....

The Whitell aluminum top Murphy bodied coupe.Went to a German industrialist for over 10 million$.Must be nice to write a check and have

the bank bounce instead of the check..

13 minutes ago, Bob Roller said:

The whole hobby is nothing but one big auction.Does anyone drive these cars

or is it just a money hustle?

Hey Bob,

Welcome to the forum!   I hope you hang around and participate as you have some great history and stories about the cars,  especially Duesenberg.    I do know some pretty wealthy guys that drive the cr*p out of the very expensive stuff.   I also know some guys that are not so wealthy that never take their cars out!   So I think there is a full range.

A.J

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:50 AM, wayne sheldon said:

I could go to a dollar ninety seven cents!

Think that could work?

Only if it were in currency backed by precious metal, NOT Federal Reserve notes.

29 minutes ago, alsancle said:

If we stick with North America there are only a 1/2 a dozen known guys that can float in that space (above 10,000,000) and they are all getting older.

I'd agree with that statement, with two comments.  First, that's CAR guys you're talking about, correct?  There are a lot of non-car guys who might just want to own it for bragging rights.  Second, the "getting older" is a very genuine statement.  Even 10 years ago, there probably would have been even more interest in the car, but now a lot of the "older" collectors are realizing it's time to get rid of stuff before they move on to the next level......

I think all those factors will determine final hammer price, and it's a crap shoot as to where it will end up...

Think that could work?

Only if it were in currency backed by precious metal, NOT Federal Reserve notes.

Think that could work?

25 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Hey Bob,

Welcome to the forum!   I hope you hang around and participate as you have some great history and stories about the cars,  especially Duesenberg.    I do know some pretty wealthy guys that drive the cr*p out of the very expensive stuff.   I also know some guys that are not so wealthy that never take their cars out!   So I think there is a full range.

A.J

A.J.

Thank you for the welcome.If I can help I will be glad to.Duesenberg cars and Long Range Muzzle Loading Rifles are my main

hobby interests.

2 hours ago, Bob Roller said:

The Whitell aluminum top Murphy bodied coupe.Went to a German industrialist for over 10 million$.Must be nice to write a check and have

the bank bounce instead of the check..

There's that old saying: if you owe the bank $100,000, you have a problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, the BANK has a problem.

There are A LOT more than 10 guys who can write a $20 million check for a Duesenberg in this country without stuttering. I think I'm sitting in a room with at least two of them at this very moment...

• Like 1

After all the commentary by everyone, "experts" ( most self proclaimed and the real deal who have less egos attached) as well as the rest of us , I hope when the car does sell the focus is not so much on what price it brings but where it eventually finds a home and that the new owner takes the car out and shares it with people who would really love and appreciate to see it in person and not because it brought $uch a huge amount of ca$h. This a is a great site for people to express themselves and share their opinion, but some individuals have to comment on everything no matter what it may be on .

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

There's that old saying: if you owe the bank $100,000, you have a problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, the BANK has a problem.

There are A LOT more than 10 guys who can write a $20 million check for a Duesenberg in this country without stuttering. I think I'm sitting in a room with at least two of them at this very moment...

The bank statement is true.   There are probably 5k guys in the country that can write a 10 million dollar check and not think too hard about it.   But would you agree that 95% of the time big dollar cars are bought by known quantities?  Guys that have been around for at least a little while.  Very rarely does somebody come out of no where and grab something very very expensive.   Most of the time you don't have that kind of money because you are an idiot.  

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

AJ is a good friend......maybe I shouldn’t say that.......

This would be a text book example of guilt by association.