Sign in to follow this  
ericmac

Cooper Duesenberg SSJ at auction

I see some speculation on another site that this car when it is auctioned may set a record for the most expensive American car ever sold. While I tend to agree I can't help wondering what the rest of you think and how much it may fetch.

Well, right now the auction record for an American car is 13.75 million, for a 1962 Shelby Cobra.

i believe the Duesenberg offered is a much more significant car than that, but there are a lot of factors which will influence this particular sale.  I won't go into details, but think about who would buy such a car, ones with combination of means and desire, and time left to enjoy the pride of ownership.  It's a very, very short list.

My belief is that it will not be bid to anywhere near the Shelby number, and will not set a record.

• Like 2

Not many folks frequent these pages.  This topic will get a lot more action if posted in General Discussion. 

3 hours ago, Curti said:

Not many folks frequent these pages.  This topic will get a lot more action if posted in General Discussion. 

Good thinking.

I'll politely disagree with my friend David. A few years ago, the Whittell Duesenberg coupe (not convertible) with an aluminum roof sold for $10 million and was, for a period, the most expensive American car ever--probably until that Shelby. While it was unusual and had an interesting story (including a lion named Bill), it was still a standard Duesenberg and not even supercharged. 

The Gable SSJ has everything that a top Full Classic should offer: rarity, history, performance, and a bit of celebrity ownership to make it sparkle. A shorter wheelbase, lighter bodywork, and more power are tough to ignore on a car that was already the most powerful of its era. And while you may think there are not a lot of guys with means, motive, and opportunity to own such a thing, I must disagree. There are A LOT of crazy wealthy people in this hobby and this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own the ultimate version of the ultimate American pre-war car. It also carries a more recent restoration than the Gable SSJ, which is owned by a friend of mine, and presents in a more contemporary fashion (subdued colors with blackwall tires). It is a shoo-in for all the big events and the owner of this car will likely become a bit of a celebrity himself for a short while. Hell, these days, $13 million isn't even that much money for a Tier 1 car. At Monterey, you'll see a dozen cars blow through that figure pretty easily.

I don't want to speculate on the ultimate result, but I believe it will comfortably surpass the Cobra and we might be very surprised indeed by the final price. 

I'm thinking 12-14 million.    Everyone here knows cars and understands the SSJ.   But the one counterpoint I would say is that the Whittell coupe on the long wheelbase has a stunning presence that might overwhelm the 125 inch wheelbase SSJ side by side to a more casual observer.l

What?  But, but, I've never been wrong before, have I??

Wonder if somewhere an oddsmaker is doing an over/under betting on this!