Replacing throttle control lever

Still accumulating parts for my truck and have found one very hard to find part for the steering column but I have a couple of concerns about replacing a broke throttle control lever. 

Recently found a good lever on a truck and the owner is willing to sell me the one part off a yard art truck but doesn't want any damage done to the steering column incase someone else needs worm parts later. I don't have the luxury of seeing the donor truck in person since it's out of state so I can't tell how to remove it from the photos he sent me. 

1.) Is it simply a nut that holds this piece in place once you remove the horn button?

2.) Does anyone have any tricks or detailed pics how to get the horn button and control levers off without breaking anything? 

I have my owners manual and diagrams but the pixels are weak and the details aren't specific enough for removal so I'd like some professional advice before I dig in.

Any help before I make the trip over state lines to pull the part is greatly appreciated so I know what to expect.

Thanks

Dave

30 Panel 030.JPG

Larry Lord Truck.jpg

30 dodge steering (2).jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Not sure if yours is the same as my 32DL, but my lever and shaft are held on by a Clum switch that fits on the bottom of the shaft.  Remove the Clum switch and the lever shaft pulls out from the top.

• Like 1

I’ve had both of mine out and found the same, as soon as you undo the clamp on the bottom of the shaft they pulled out. They are extremely brittle, i accidentally knocked the 29’s lever onto the ground and it exploded into about 6 pieces. I had to buy 2 new ones from Vintage Resteration. Nice levers made from stainless. 

4DBC7DB7-3910-45FA-9B47-62BB6F24C569.png

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)

Dave,

Here is something I saved for my DA.....doesn't look exactly the same, but if you take off light switch at bottom of steering column rod and then pull up upper horn button / lever assembly there may be a wire clamp that holds lever in place per this DA diagram. Hope this helps.

post-149004-0-98563500-1443150738_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies

I was hoping I wouldn't have to loosen the clum and mess with the entire worm mechanism. I did see the repops at the vintage restorations website but they don't make any for DA truck levers unfortunately (completely different size and design) thanks for that recommendation though... 

Sounds fairly straight forward, just loosen the clum nut and I should be able to pull to get everything out and may have a wire clip under the lever to remove also.

Someone suggested plenty of oil to loosen it up but I doubt very seriously I want to put any oil to this job.... sounds like it's just locked into place with the wire clip and the locking nut at the clum switch. Simple enough.

Thank you guys, this helps quite a bit.. will remove mine first before I hit the road so I'll know how it's done.

Very much appreciate the input??

I have three levers and they are spark, throttle, and lights. These pot metal parts get damaged easily. Only have one complete lever.

The biggest problem I had was the horn button cable. It was a metal wrapped wire that rusted in the center tubing and could not get it removed. I found a brake line that fit in steering wheel and was able to place a horn button wire. 

4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

You're starting to scare me lol..

Canvas top is off (no roof or wood at all) and seats out so I'm thinking I have enough space. 

Measure the length of the steering column and hold the tape above the steering wheel on the projection of the column. Is there room?

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty easy.... metal clip on back removed then the lever just lifts out. Horn button attached from the back with a brass screw spring and washer. 

Bad news is now that I removed it I can clearly see the one in California does not match. May have to consider making this part.

5E5842DC-76C2-48A7-8D16-003B94551567.jpeg

ED0A7904-7E49-4407-A74B-471E39514858.jpeg

0651241C-7508-4518-A6A0-56C050FFC362.jpeg

4128A76A-DDD6-4C56-9DBF-925A0D6C06D5.jpeg

4B10E491-6805-47C1-A3C9-0C0C3B3281E1.jpeg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

• 2 years later...