Sign in to follow this  
Ovalrace25

Phoenix Az to Napa Ca Needed.

I just bought a 58 Ford in Phoenix Az. and need to get it home in Napa Ca. Running car. Not a show car, just a decent "driver" open OK. Anyone out there have a recommendation? I contacted  two of the majors, accepted an online quote- then they doubled the price! Said they had to provide enclosed because the Ford was a valuable car....  Heck I paid 4500 for it! I see them hauling NEW cars on open carriers, why not a 58 Ford with years of road wear? 

"Decent driver"? Then drive it!

Drove my '33 Plymouth between Sunnyvale and Tucson a few years back which would be about the same distance if not a little more. Plus that was round trip rather than one way. But I also know exactly what the mechanical condition of my car is and you might not know that on a just purchased car.

AAA Platinum allows for 200 miles of free towing.

• 1st tow from Phoenix to maybe Needles.
  • Second tow from Needles to Victorville.
  • Third tow from Victorville to Tulare.
  • Forth tow from Tulare to Manteca.
  • Final tow from Manteca to your house.

So check/change the fluids, inspect the brakes, etc. and start driving it. If it makes it you'll feel great and have a story about how good the car was that your were able to drive it about 800 miles home.

If not have up to 4 friends lined up with their AAA cards to get you home. And you'll have an even better story to tell about your adventure getting it home.

OTOH, its pretty hot in the desert right now. If you drive it you might want to wait until fall.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:39 AM, ply33 said:

OTOH, its pretty hot in the desert right now. If you drive it you might want to wait until fall.

Just roll down all the windows and drive it.  If you keep the air moving it's not to bad, but then again it's Phoenix. At least 10 degrees hotter than where I'm at. :) Bring lots of water.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:39 PM, ply33 said:

"Decent driver"? Then drive it!

Drove my '33 Plymouth between Sunnyvale and Tucson a few years back which would be about the same distance if not a little more. Plus that was round trip rather than one way. But I also know exactly what the mechanical condition of my car is and you might not know that on a just purchased car.

AAA Platinum allows for 200 miles of free towing.

• 1st tow from Phoenix to maybe Needles.
  • Second tow from Needles to Victorville.
  • Third tow from Victorville to Tulare.
  • Forth tow from Tulare to Manteca.
  • Final tow from Manteca to your house.

So check/change the fluids, inspect the brakes, etc. and start driving it. If it makes it you'll feel great and have a story about how good the car was that your were able to drive it about 800 miles home.

If not have up to 4 friends lined up with their AAA cards to get you home. And you'll have an even better story to tell about your adventure getting it home.

AAA is roadside assistance for licensed - insured - registered vehicles that break down on a trip unexpectedly.

It is NOT intended to be used for folks who buy a car and are too cheap to either go get it with a trailer or hire someone to do it.

What you are advocating is FRAUD.

Jim

On 7/15/2018 at 1:01 PM, Trulyvintage said:

AAA is roadside assistance for licensed - insured - registered vehicles that break down on a trip unexpectedly.

It is NOT intended to be used for folks who buy a car and are too cheap to either go get it with a trailer or hire someone to do it.

What you are advocating is FRAUD.

Jim

It was my unwritten assumption that the car would be licensed, insured and registered before it was driven. I would never drive a car that wasn't registered and insured and I assume that is standard procedure for any rational person.

I did suggest that a mechanical inspection be made ("brakes, etc.") with all fluids changed. Obviously if the inspection comes up with a problem it should be dealt with before the car is driven. If inspected and any observed flaws dealt with then I don't see where fraud comes in. You have a licensed, registered, insured car with recent inspection and maintenance on your hands. If it is a car, drive it. If it is a museum piece then ship it.

I don't own a museum piece  (even though I've scored pretty high on some Plymouth Club national show judging) and I don't own a trailer. If I can't drive it then I don't consider it a car.

FWIW, I've had to use my AAA towing four times in the last 20 years. First two times, most recent in 2001, was for my 1933 Plymouth when mechanical issues developed on tours. One result of those episodes was for me to get more rigorous in my maintenance and inspection schedule. I've not had an on the road issue with that car since, including on the 2000 mile round trip jaunt from the SF Bay Area to Tucson and back a few years ago.

The other two times I used AAA towing was in the last 6 months of the life of my previous "daily driver". First of those was a mechanical issue and the tow was about 5 miles to the dealer. The second was after a truck hit it and the tow was to a body shop where the other driver's insurance company declared it a total loss and paid me off.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:35 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

Just roll down all the windows and drive it.  If you keep the air moving it's not to bad, but then again it's Phoenix. At least 10 degrees hotter than where I'm at. :) Bring lots of water.

When I was young and our family didn't have a car with air conditioning we carried plenty of water. But as I grow older AC has moved from a "nice to have" when crossing the desert into the "required" category. The last trip in summer without air conditioning was in the 1980s when the AC in my '82 failed between Phoenix and the river. Pretty grim for the couple hundred miles remaining on that trip where the time & temperature signs in the Indio/Palm Desert area were showing about 115°F.

My comments were directed to the person suggesting that AAA Roadside Assistance be used in lieu of transport services - recommending other AAA members to have their cards ready to move your car down the road is Fraud.

Jim