Thanks to AACA and all Forum members....

trimacar

I'd like to just take a moment, and thank the AACA (and the moderators!) for providing this great forum, and to all the Forum members who share their thoughts and knowledge.  It's a lot of fun, both entertaining and educational, and we should all be very thankful it exists.

I've really enjoyed it, as it helps me stay in touch with people now that I'm retired.  You read a lot of articles about having enough money for retirement, but rarely is mentioned the fact that when you leave a business or profession, you also leave behind a lot of contacts and "business friends".

So why this sudden outpouring of thanks?  Why, it's my 7000th post on the forum, and I wanted it to be a little bit special!  Thanks to all .............David Coco Winchester Va.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

With all of this free time on your hands, a mobile upholstery van heading out this way full of different colored leather, also sounds like a good way to stay in contact with club members........ Just a thought.......:rolleyes:

Yea, drop by this way as well.

Congrats on the 7K.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

mobile upholstery van

You jest (sorta!), but at one time there was a fellow in California who'd come to your house (you had to provide a room for him to sleep) and do button tufted interior on your car, from his van.  Don't know if he's still around.

It's not a bad idea, you could put everything you need easily into a regular van, travel the country and enjoy hospitality while you do it!

Me, I'm tethered to home, with family and such....besides, I'm trying to quit the upholstery business and get some of my work done.....right now, I just put the Cord in a friend's shop for a water pump removal and rebuild (a major job on a Cord!), the Packard engine is being rebuilt again and should be home in a week or so, and the Chevy truck is at another friends shop for some long awaited attention.......and that's not to mention installing the newly rebuilt cam housing on the Hupmobile!  Lots to do, and time is going by quickly...you know what they say, time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.....

Cord.jpg

• Like 2

I am always amazed at the plethora of information available on this site. I don't care what subject someone asks a question about, they always get an answer. Sure once in a while some wise guy chimes in but it's rare. We are all in this together, keep the hobby alive!

• Like 1

I had a plethora once, but the doctor removed it.  Thanks to all, as said, there's a vast amount of knowledge from the "veterans",  although a "veteran" is anyone who's taken an old car out for a drive, fingers crossed that it's a round trip!!

• Like 3

David, some of our true experts have quit the forum due to the abuse they felt they took.  However, you have stayed the course and that is appreciated.  The forum does not work unless it can help others, that was the intention of the club from the beginning.

By the way, the guy who use to come to a shop and do the interiors.  He did several jobs for Ohlendorf's in Beecher and stayed with them.  He might have worked on one of my cars but I am not sure. That sure brought back a memory. 

• Like 4

With that many posts, you certainly have contributed as much as you've received! Nice cross-section of America's auto production you have in your shop. Did you ever get a copy of that old car/old plane movie my Grandfather was in, or did my less than perfect description scare you off? I'd be happy to lend you my copy if you don't want to go to the trouble to buy a dvd for something you might watch once or twice. I found it interesting, but my wife's review was "that's really weird", and Ron Hausmann strongly disliked it. I told him I thought the "sporting woman's" car in the film was a Kissel Gold Bug...but he said that it was not(maybe it was a Twenties Marmon Roadster, like the 1923 34B below from the conceptcarz.com site).

22-Marmon_Model_34B_DV-08_MB_009.jpg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• Well  a  guy  that  likes  Pierce Arrows  and  Hupmobiles and  is  willing  to  help  people solve  a problem they  may  have for  just  a  thank you is  a  great  person. Thank  you  David  for  the help  you  have  given my  self  and  others.

12 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

Did you ever get a copy of that old car/old plane movie my Grandfather was in,

I don't think I did, can you send again?

As to Pierce and Hupp, Pierce Arrows are great cars, but I did get beat up over the weekend (at an area tour/get together) about "Where there's a hill, there's a Hupp",  but I take it all in stride.

Steve, most of my posts have been well received, so I've "stayed the course", and I'm appreciative of the people I've met at various events (including Hershey), and one who told me they "agree with 95% of what I say, and that's a LOT more than anyone else who posts"...I loved that comment....but I think that there are people on the forum that do better than 95%!

The one post/thread that stands out to me was the one about the fellow who asked about how much load there was on his new tile floor in his garage.  I responded that the load on the floor, in pounds per square inch, was equal to the pressure in his tires.  Man, was that a roller coaster ride.  One fellow even said something like "I'm glad you're not in our educational system, because that's the stupidest thing I ever heard".  Well, what I said was correct, but the thread was very interesting, and as close as I've ever come to saying sheesh, if you can't understand basic physics, why are you behind the wheel of a car? And why am I here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

David, some of our true experts have quit the forum due to the abuse they felt they took.  However, you have stayed the course and that is appreciated.  The forum does not work unless it can help others, that was the intention of the club from the beginning.

By the way, the guy who use to come to a shop and due to the interiors.  He did several jobs for Ohlendorf's in Beecher and stayed with them.  He might have worked on one of my cars but I am not sure. That sure brought back a memory. 

Steve, the reason I knew he existed was a very nice visit to the late Earl Snodgrass home in Los Angeles, he and his wife lived in a house that was once owned by General Patton,  and Earl had a garage under a tennis court in the back yard.  He told me about the fellow who did traveling upholstery, and in fact the fellow had stayed at their house for a couple of weeks doing a large brass car that Earl had...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

congratulations on your prolific posting,

Don, thanks, but I don't talk much about prolifics, this is a family oriented forum so I try to keep it clean...

But prolifics aside, thank you very much...

• Haha 2

David,

I don't post as much as I used to post, but I am always reading when I am not working in the garage. I try to spend more time in the garage on my restoration project than I spend on the computer but I don't always manage to do that. I do know that it I am happy to consider you a friend and happy to have been able to sell you an odd item or two in Hershey. 

Yes, Matt, happy to consider you a friend too, although we met through the most nefarious of means (is that good English, referring to Marty Roth?  Though I'm not one to drop names..)

And you've come up with some nice stuff, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Yes, Matt, happy to consider you a friend too, although we met through the most nefarious of means (is that good English, referring to Marty Roth?  Though I'm not one to drop names..)

And you've come up with some nice stuff, thanks!

I guess we have both been known to hang out with some unsavory characters at times...;)

• Like 1

David,

Having the pleasure of knowing you for nearly 40 years through life's ups and downs, shared several wonderful family moments, shared several cars and several true friends, I can only add that I'm delighted to note that we (Dale and I) respect you and the way you conduct yourself. Most folks here will never know your truly unselfish ways and the path you've traveled, nor need they know. Maybe we'll have a brief chance to visit Thursday on our way to Gettysburg - but with or without cheesecake, we always look forward visits with you and your family.

Marty, thanks, our friendship has been a high point in our families lives, sheesh, bad grammar on my part.....Please come visit, but I'm sorry, cheesecake is not optional!  But of course Hotel Coco accepts the non-cheesecake crowd, too!

I will see if the family calendar allows a visit to the show! So close...

13 hours ago, trimacar said:

when you leave a business or profession, you also leave behind a lot of contacts and "business friends".

Truer words were never written!

When I sold my shop to a friend after the newness of retirement set in I started dropping in every day to have my wake-up coffee.......now twice a day.

I never missed the headaches for a split second but missed many of the customers and also the familiarity of the shop my grandfather founded.

AND I still know a few things too....... ;) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 61polara said:

David, you've been a great asset here.

Thanks!  I may not know everything, but I'll sure try to pretend like I do!

I know that I found out in my engineering profession that you didn't need to know everything.  You just had to know the correct people who knew what you didn't know. And, education teaches you how to find out things.

As they say, college is a fountain of knowledge where kids go to drink.....

• Like 2

indeed I thank me too AACA :)
I am French and it is not easy to make me understand with the translator, but you arrive when even describe me, thanks to you I learn a lot, I see a lot of car that I have never seen in France, I also see landscapes that I do not see at home. Even a simple sign on the road is a pleasure to see :)
I am very happy to be able to speak with you, it is very rewarding :)
thank you all !! ;)

SAM_7698.JPG

SAM_7699.JPG

Image20150306213948305.jpg

David, congratulations on your milestone!  I thought it was great when I hit 2000 but you're way ahead of most of us.  Always a great contributor.  Look forward to seeing you at Gettysburg - leaving in the morning.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

7000 posts!!??? Wow you people really need to get a life.  

Just kidding. Thanks for sharing David. 

And thanks for giving those of us that are looking forward to retirement  a reminder to stay in contact with old friends.  

Enjoy, you deserve it.