nick8086

What should you do with old car paint?

I have about 6 cans of old paint.

They all have kaiser darrin marked on them..

I have over 60 cans to look at.. I know most of them are no good.

I also got rid of 70 cans 4 years ago..

In our city, you can open the lids so the paint dries out, and then take them to the city recycling center. They do this once a month. 

In my part of the country, specifically my county, businesses pay through the nose to get rid of this stuff and home owners can take paint of any condition from half goo to still sloshing to the county recycle center and get rid of it no charge.

The county north of me paint has different rules and a drop off charge. Check with your county recycle center and it wouldn't hurt to price shop the counties where your kids live, all kids leave a bunch of crap for the folks to deal with when they move out, only fair that they deal with some of yours.

Do what everyone around here does. Dump them along the road that runs through my woods.............Bob

My city has a S.T.O.P., Stop Throwing Out Pollutants, drive every spring and fall. It's held at the local fire house. Your community may have one.

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Pour it out on a sheet of cardboard, allow to dry and throw away.

Or plastic, just spread it out enough to allow it to dry.  Liquid waste in sufficient quantities can leak into the aquifer.  Waste haulers are regulated to save that from happening.  

Pour cheap cat litter in the can, leave the lid off and let it dry.  The dried paint is considered non-toxic and can be put in the trash.

Paint furniture with it!😉

Paint the steel doors of houses and buildings with it, last forever compared to latex. You should see my black front door painted with Deltron. 19 years old, still gets compliments.

You can blend cans to colors you want, but follow the color wheel, no need to make it all brown!😁

Automotive paint on bookshelves make shelves that book do NOT stick to, like they do when using latex paint.

Why not just check with your local authority having jurisdiction?  Although the advice given in this thread seems to be fine with me, following it may lead to legal difficulties.

Just sayin'.

Cheers,

Grog

• Thanks 1

Auto paint that is liquid is still good to use on a car, a wheelbarrow, or etc. Here is what I did with about 5 pint cans of different shades of blue metallic auto paint mixed together.

casket.jpg

1 hour ago, JFranklin said:

Auto paint that is liquid is still good to use on a car, a wheelbarrow, or etc. Here is what I did with about 5 pint cans of different shades of blue metallic auto paint mixed together.

casket.jpg

Put the brushed aluminum hand rails back on the box and you will have an eye catching casket.

I think the only reason Jake posted this is he wants to be told it's OK to just throw it out on the dirt and rake some leaves over it. But that could not be futher from the truth.

19 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

I think the only reason Jake posted this is he wants to be told it's OK to just throw it out on the dirt and rake some leaves over it. But that could not be futher from the truth.

I think that happened on the farm back in the 70's..

Oil was just poured out next the gas pump for the tractors..

IMG_0687.JPG

"What should you do with old car paint?"

Paint an old car of course!😉

• Like 1