Sign in to follow this  
ski.dive

Any Tips on changing oil pressure sending unit, tool needed, getting to it easy, etc.

Any Tips on changing oil pressure sending unit, tool needed,  getting to it easy, etc.

I think it is easiest to remove the passanger side tire and get to it via the wheelwell..........if you have the special socket, then from the top may be easier but most of us don't have the

special socket for a job we might do one or two times in a lifetime.    From the wheelwell you can see it and use a crescent wrench or channel locks.

don't know the part number....auto parts store should be able to look it up

This is the part you need or equivalent in another brand. I prefer ACDelco but there are a lot of other good brands that might be cheaper. You can twist it out with channel locks if you have to. Twist on the bottom metal part. NOT the black plastic.

31Z4WBgc7pL.01_SL300_.jpg

I changed the oil pressure sending unit on our 1991 from the top but access is limited unless you have the water pump and serpentine belt off as I did.  I found that a special short handle cresent wrench that will open wide enough to get onto the hex at the base of the sending unit works well.

Is a tapered thread and after a 1/4 turn should spin off. The original silver one has probably failed by now, short plastic (easy to snap top off, be gentle) is better. "C" engine sender is calibrated differently than one for an "L" (1991).

oilpress.jpg.e4f0b87c6522dc68ad897a4ab4f42fbb.jpg