NC68Riviera

For sale: Bumper filler parts for a 1983 Riviera

My aunt in Wichita, KS has some parts she says an old boyfriend bought for a 1983 Riviera.  $250 for the lot. Local pick up is preferred but they can be shipped if need be. Per RivNut: "These are a bumper filler kit. Probably 90% of the cars built during this era need replacements."

Her comments about the parts:

"He purchased them from someone who was selling after market parts.  I think he saw the company in a car magazine.  He purchased them in or around 2000 and then he started getting sick and never finished the car  The dark gray dull side is showing in the photos.  I would say this is the side that would get primed and painted.  The underside is gloss black.  They seem to be made of a thick black plastic.  For some reason, I thought these pieces were not of a flexible rubber material.

I don't know how any of the pieces line up for installing on the car so I didn't know how to lay them out.  I hope you cam make sense out of them".

Below are pictures of the parts. If anyone can identify if these are indeed 83 Riviera parts please let me know. 

I asked her if there are any part numbers molded on the reverse sides of the parts. 

image_20180708_165442_1531087274053.thumb.jpg.7604365c09da033ecd0e50ba0ee261cc.jpgimage_20180708_165452_1531087273990.thumb.jpg.79e386f241cffb245d2251c994ebe814.jpgi00000101.thumb.jpg.fa71dcabac670881ec1115aa2980f25e.jpgi0000010.thumb.jpg.595c5aa287a787e05a03cfcaa4c7d804.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

That is a bumper filler kit. Probably 90% of the cars built during this era need replacements.  If it's OEM, rather than aftermarket, it's a gold mine. Count the number of pieces.  Are they ABS or fiberglass?  Google '79 - 85 Riviera bumper fillers' and check out what's available.  Some of the older kits take two pieces to replace one factory piece. These are much less desirable.   Good luck. 

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Ed, thanks. Do these look like parts for both front and back bumpers or just one or the other? 

Remember, these are in the possession of a woman who knows a bumper from a jack stand but is not fully aware of what she has in her possession. 

Theyre for both.  In the top picture, the one "v" shaped piece on the left goes under the grill.  The two longer pieces go under the head lights, and two of the other pieces go around the corner behind the bumper.  The two large pieces with the fingers on the go under the tail lights, the last two pieces go around the corner behind the rear bumper.

I just checked Replica Plastics website.  They get $60 for six pieces and $50 for the front center piece.  That's $410 for a complete set. Plus S&H.  The seven piece set is the way to go.  Look for a thread back in 2013 for reference to an article that I wrote and was published in a Riview.  Lots of improvements since then, though.

• Like 1

Thanks again Ed! You are a great wealth of knowledge my friend. 

If anyone is interested in these parts and lives in or near Central Kansas, please PM me. I am sure my aunt is not wanting to ship these parts. 

I'm in Eastern KS, but my grandson and I are planning one or two day trips soon to see the real Kansas, not the Metro Kansas City area.  In which city does she live?  Any idea what she'd want for them?  I could also act as a middleman for someone.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NC68Riviera said:

The parts are in Wichita. Ed, thanks. 

My aunt wants $400 for the lot. If anyone is interested let me know. 

That's retail; I'm not interested.

More info about these parts. 

Per my aunt, "They feel stiff. There is nothing flexible about them. Luckily the shipping label was still on the box. They came from a company called Musselman Distributing Company. Their address is 4717 Cartwright Road Missouri City Texas 77459. The telephone on the shipping label is 713 974-9022. Now I remember, he purchased these way back in early to mid 2000."

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, NC68Riviera said:

Price is negotiable.

More info about these parts. 

Per my aunt, "They feel stiff. There is nothing flexible about them. Luckily the shipping label was still on the box. They came from a company called Musselman Distributing Company. Their address is 4717 Cartwright Road Missouri City Texas 77459. The telephone on the shipping label is 713 974-9022. Now I remember, he purchased these way back in early to mid 2000."

Mussleman was just a distributor.  Due to "events" reported to Ray Knott, Mussleman no longer advertises in the Riview. 

They're probably flexible in a front end crash, but not by hand. Do they feel like plastic (fiberglass) or rubber (ABS)?

If she's trying to get retail for 10 - 15 year old goods, she's going to have them to a long time.

• Like 1