1929 Dodge Merchant Express Panel Mystery truck

Trefor

Recently, while helping clean up a family member’s property, they gave me a dilapidated old Dodge in their back field for “yard art”.

While going through some old sheds, I struck rusty gold and found the majority of the parts for it. Numbers on the engine and frame

Tell me that it’s a 1929 Merchant Express, but I haven’t been able to learn much more. My curiosity is through the roof because the parts

I found for it would make it a “Panel”, however..the Panel sides have (2) window holes as seen on sedan deliveries….but this is a truck??

I haven't been able to find any online info on this style of Panel. Chrysler sent me the build card, but that didn't help at all with the mystery.

Serial number is P1028 (27th Merchant express to roll off the line in 1929).

Can anyone shed any light on this??

Unfortunately, the truck has been completely disassembled. I'll try to get a picture of the panel sides to show everyone what i'm talking about. The bed walls come straight up and then connect to the upper panel sides, each side having (2) window openings (like a sedan delivery). The back has 2 doors. Very odd for what I know of old Panels. Anyways, I'll try to get some photos of the panel sides soon. 

1929 Dodge Panel.jpg

• Like 1

Love the truck . looks like you have one of those in between models . Chrysler was just taking over numbering from Graham Bros. whom build the trucks .

Double check serial on engine UT's should have five numbers after , I believe . Also on driver side near bottom, is date code of engine cast just under starter . It is possible windows where added after . I can not make out what it says in OPT and SPECS column . And did you measure wheel base both sides . There are 108's ' 109's also in time period around years 28-30 . Sometimes on special orders Walter would use up old stock to make truck . Depression era nothing wasted .

Edited by ArticiferTom (see edit history)

Wow again . Your right on UT,  most have and is an early one with that motor and body number . The cast number has me confused . My'31 has month ,day and year . And seen others with out year  . Would expect to see motor within few months of build  . But 8-5-9 even if 8 is '28 ,could be Sept 5 of 28 . Also clueless on body number .

Some here with books and more info can help .

Someone with literature on special bodies (probably York) will be the ones who have the answer. Chrysler museum may be another one but you’ll never see the info they hold since it’s shut off to public now. Which is complete bs btw...

Someone with special bodies literature is your best bet. Good luck

While researching the mpb for windows on panel trucks it refers us to page T-25-20

Does anyone have that page? Mine was missing. That may shed some light on the topic. ..I doubt it but maybe

Was doing some more thinking on this of where to look for clues. 

On your build card it appears to read "Riegel Bros" out of Spokane WA... if you do research on the brothers type of business that may also shed some light onto what the special body would have been suited for. Just a suggestion. 

Edit: this is just the name of the Dodge Dealer it was sent to so I doubt it would help. 

The answer IS in the opt/spec section. Someone with a spec book should be able to decifer. I presume one mbr on here has that book (it sold on ebay last year), whether or not he/she shares the info is going to be up to them.

Very interesting truck. My guess would be funeral/ambulance (probably to short though) or something like a flower delivery service.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Trefor said:

Opt. and Spec. Equip. appears to say "Fisk" and "Disn" but the"i" isn't dotted so it may be "Desn". 

I think it might be "Tisk Dest" (or "Tisk Dist").

And why is it "M E R Express"? i.e. why are the "E" and "R" in caps? Do those letters stand for other words?

That floor number plate might be more legible if you carefully wipe it with some chalk to highlight the raised numbers. Or even something oily to make it sheen then photograph it with the light at an angle on it.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

9 hours ago, dc-8dave said:

John is correct on the upper line, it is FISK tires. The lower line is an abbreviation for DISPLAY, speaking of the two side windows.

David, any knowledge about the data tag he found on the drivers side floor? First one I’ve seen on any DB truck...

Thank you so much for all the information everybody...I have...some closure.  Ultimately, I would just love to know how many were built like this, but I don't believe the records exist to break the numbers down like that. Regardless, I do believe it to most likely be extremely rare and we'll see....perhaps I'll tackle this project someday.

Hi Trefor,  

all of us in the GB and DB truck camp are very much interested in trying to accumulate data for these trucks in an attempt to solve the production points per model. My 30 Panel is rare too but we have no way of knowing the production totals since it wasn't important to the Graham Brothers, Dodge Brothers, or Chrysler to keep track of each model built. It may never be solved but it is an on going project so your truck data is important to file in our data base for reference points at the very minimum. Because of the short run of the Merchant Express we do have some indication but to your point directly, how many of the Merchants were built with this dual window option may never be known. 

If I can ask, what is your short and long term goals for the truck ? It sounds as if you are having thoughts of selling it ,, Is this something you are thinking of selling ?

If so, I have an interest in the truck as my passion is Panel DB and GB trucks.

Please send me a PM if you are thinking of selling.

If you would rather communicate with others on here more directly via email let me or dc-8 Dave know.  Some of us are very curious about this truck and would love to help further outside of this forum if needed. 

Regards,
Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So again, thank you everyone for helping on this. At this point, I'd like to sell it to a good home. I definitely dont have time to restore it and would love to sell it to someone who intends to do so rather than part out and cut up. Obviously it's very rare and deserves being put back together rather than yard art. Put the word out please, I'm looking for $1500.

Edited by Trefor
Typo (see edit history)

While all you truck guys are together here I have been scanning literature for the DBC website. There's a bunch truck stuff in it. Most information is from '23 to '30. Lots of Victory, Senior, and truck. Most of it is letters from DB to dealers about changes, some ads, charts, pictures,etc. It is IDed by year, no search, so you will have to read it ALL. And as usual it will create more questions then answers. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...