Starting Dodge Four restoration.

So I’m about to start on my fast four (I think)!! resto  and I was doing some research on it, and I have a number on the chassis A871-414 that Richard gave me the build date of March- April 1927. but I also have a number on the body  firewall of A20541. 

Does this mean I have a Jan 1924 body on a 1927 chassis or did they have separate numbers. 

Maybe it’s not a fast four at all. 

1743F16B-B16C-41DB-848F-1436D488C6B6.jpeg

69B05588-0D74-4D06-A08E-D7D70B2DF92E.jpeg

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

By the frame number the car is series 126  sedan , the body has no meening to the car , just production number . engine number will most likly start with the letter " C ", that would be a five bearing engine ,but not  a series 128 fast four .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robert b said:

By the frame number the car is series 126  sedan , the body has no meening to the car , just production number . engine number will most likly start with the letter " C ", that would be a five bearing engine ,but not  a series 128 fast four .

Great thanks Robert for clarifying that for me. I’ve been a bit confused about the model since i bought it as the guy told me it was a fast four. 

I may be wrong but I think the term ‘fast four’ was applied to all the models with the 5 bearing crank (and the dissy in the head) so may apply to series 124 & 126 in addition to 128/129

some details here - www.dodgebrothersclub.org/DB_Production_Dates.pdf 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RichBad said:

I may be wrong but I think the term ‘fast four’ was applied to all the models with the 5 bearing crank (and the dissy in the head) so may apply to series 124 & 126 in addition to 128/129

some details here - www.dodgebrothersclub.org/DB_Production_Dates.pdf 

Definitely not the fast four then as the distributor is to the side behind the gear. 

7 hours ago, Wheelmang said:

I hope my 26 looks as good as yours when I am done with it. And you are just starting yours?? Curious - What does it need that we cannot see in the pictures.?

Yer I’m not going to completely dismantle it as my daughter wants both cars for her wedding in November so best I pull my finger out. Just going to tidy it up with a new interior, paint, freshen up the underneath and rebuild the gearbox. 

All the brakes and front end have been done before I bought it which is great. Also treat her to some new spoke wheels. Can’t say I love the solids. 

42897BB5-368B-4ECD-A94C-A8F2D1E6A5D6.jpeg

E8FC1046-3983-4BFD-8DFA-78A21E4EC35B.jpeg

2171A32E-3D7F-4384-9E3F-B90B417171C7.jpeg

Certainly your car and your choice but I do "love" the disc wheels.  If you were rushed for time I would leave the wheels for now.  Lovely car.

Remember that when heading to the wedding the bride should get in the opposite side that she will get out of the car.  That way her dress will follow her and not have to make a U-turn in the car.  It makes for a much nicer picture as she exits.  Just a comment from someone who has driven cars and limos for more than an hundred weddings.

That is some great advice. I’ll definitely remember that. It seems once people know you have these old girls they want to get married in them. 

Yer I just can’t take to the solid wheels for some reason. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

Yer I just can’t take to the solid wheels for some reason.

Possibly because they are "foreign looking" to us.  Some Chevs and some Dodges were the only major American manufacturers that used them.

3 hours ago, Bob Zetnick said:

I thinK some of your aversion to the disk wheels is that yours aren't striped to break up the "massing" of them...just IMHO

3538235848_16a100a05d.jpg

Yes your absolutely correct Bob, doesn’t it make a world of difference. That looks a 100 times better. 

I till am fond of the spoke wheels though. 

A set of wheels can make or brake any car. 

• Like 1

The tire size seams small for he car ,if the rims are 20 '" than 600 x 20 is the tire size , if rims are 21" than 5.25 x 21 would be the size. tire s might make things look better for the disc wheels , have look at the pics of the green car to compair Bob

4 hours ago, robert b said:

The tire size seams small for he car ,if the rims are 20 '" than 600 x 20 is the tire size , if rims are 21" than 5.25 x 21 would be the size. tire s might make things look better for the disc wheels , have look at the pics of the green car to compair Bob

4 hours ago, robert b said:

Let me know if you need help with any information , I have a small collection of books that i can copy info from and can talk you through it . can also find parts ! depending on what is needed bob

Good on you thanks Bob. Your up near my old stomping ground, I lived in ormeau and had a factory in Yatala. Opposite The Famius Yatala pies. 

I got the gearbox apart today and found the gears to be in good condition considering. Re racing  it should do the job hopefully. All the bearings are a bit average.  I’m going to change it to right hand drive and have found a very helpful fella down here with a lot of parts that will allow me to do the conversion. So I’ll pull the engine tomorrow and tidy it all up while it’s out. 

I was lucky enough to grab a book of information for the 126 series of eBay. I was amazed at how much info was in there it’s better than most work shop manuals these days. 

I wasn’t  planning  on converting it but it’s a great opportunity to do it. I already have the front axle. 

The universal joint hasn’t been grease since 1927 I don’t think, It was as dry as grannies tits. It is pretty much shot so I’m looking for one of them if you know of one. 

Really appreciate all the help on this forum it’s great

FD6B9D23-350F-48F0-885F-A6684C52DA2C.jpeg

9BA38AD8-D391-415B-8244-F64A963F4317.jpeg

Let me know if there is any rhd stuff you need as there is a lot of these Dodges in the Northern Rivers area and I have a mate near Lismore that has a good stock of parts for most models except 128s which have , he doing a sedan version of your car at the moment ,will see him tomorrow and ask if he is willing to part with parts ( we do a lot of horse trading in these parts ) ha ha ha . Bob

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, robert b said:

Have a think about joining the Dodge Brothers Club Australia , they are a good bunch and are willing to help and hold good  runs , the next national in your area  in October, info on there web site . Bob

Thanks Bob I’m going to get the parts on Saturday so if I don’t get everything I need I’ll give you a shout. I have started filling out the membership forms for the dodge brothers club of Australia. 

Cheers Matt 

6 minutes ago, RichBad said:

If you do end up needing anything from Bob may be able to share the freight as he’s sorting a few parts for me too:) Why does this country have to be so large!

A mate of mine runs between Melbourne and Brisbane weekly Richard with a furniture truck. He picks up stuff for me all the time. He picked up my hickory for the wheels from Canberra for me. So if we get anything I’ll get him to grab it. I’ll know by Saturday afternoon if I need anything else. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mattml430 said:

A mate of mine runs between Melbourne and Brisbane weekly Richard with a furniture truck. He picks up stuff for me all the time. He picked up my hickory for the wheels from Canberra for me. So if we get anything I’ll get him to grab it. I’ll know by Saturday afternoon if I need anything else. 

That could be awesome - thanks!!

• 2 months later...

Thought  I’d better update the progress on the old girl. Finished bringing it all back to bare metal today and have to say I have been very surprised to of found absolutely no bad rust or damage to any of the body or doors. The guards had a bit of damage but nothing serious. The only rust was a bit of surface rust around the back seat area but it all came straight off. 

Ive got the body all under coated and will be doing the doors tomorrow. All my guards and side skirts are finished in black. I’ll post some pics. jj

C262AF41-9282-4F2D-8E69-337772909D97.jpeg

0B303874-F092-489F-8CE4-71F9429BEAC7.jpeg

• Like 1

Well got her back down on the ground this morning and took it for a quick burn up the road to test the gearbox rebuild and my r/hand drive conversion. All went really well drove straight as a die at about 30 and the gear box was so much smoother and quiter. That could also be the better universal joint and grease that has made the difference too. 

It was fun getting the accelerator linkages to the opposite side of the car but all works nicely. 

0FA68045-7228-49B6-B9C0-2AD915F692DB.jpeg

• Like 1

Made a start on the new wooden spoke wheels today. Cut a view extra in case of any mishaps. 

Takes about 6 minuets for my old lathe to spit one out and another view minutes sanding it while it’s still spinning. So there will be a view hours on the lathe tomorrow and Sunday. 

Some nice kiln dried hickory. 

C6EADEE3-0F43-42B3-8FFE-0E2C6D2D493D.jpeg

• Like 2