65 riv - re these original mats?

moran75

Hi all

Is there a way of identifying original mats?

I've attached a couple of pics of ref numbers on the back of mine - wondering if they were part numbers or other coding, possibily indicating after market or original..

Just in case pics are not clear one number is '12-63: 4264L-PPI-D' and the other '4264R-PPI-P'

Many thanks

Kev

IMG_7513.JPG

IMG_7516.JPG

On 7/6/2018 at 6:51 PM, moran75 said:

Hi all

Is there a way of identifying original mats?

I've attached a couple of pics of ref numbers on the back of mine - wondering if they were part numbers or other coding, possibily indicating after market or original..

Just in case pics are not clear one number is '12-63: 4264L-PPI-D' and the other '4264R-PPI-P'

Many thanks

Kev

IMG_7513.JPG

IMG_7516.JPG

Hi Kevin,

Can you post overall pics of the face of the mats? Thanks,

Tom

Hey Kevin,

What color are the mats you are trying to identify?  I ask because certain colors were reproduced and others not yet.  I think the most commonly reproduced color of mats is black, beige/brown, and possibly white.  The black ones are a good bet to reproduce as this color 'goes' with most interior colors.  Oddball colors like dark green, aqua, and red just aren't reproduced because these were not common interior colors even when the cars were new.  The dark green Handi-Mats sold for full-size Buicks are not reproduced.  My car has Trim Code 620 - Dark Green.  One can buy repro mats in a lighter green, of a slightly different pattern, but these aren't correct for my '65 Riviera.  When I bought my Riv in 1983 it only had the two front rubber mats.  The driver's one had split near the gas pedal cut out.  I patched it from behind with good old duct tape.  Then, about 15 years ago I miraculously came across a set of dark green front mats with the rear handi-mats on eBay.  These were in very good to excellent condition.  Luckily mine was the winning bid at $78!  

I believe the original mats were made by RUBBERMAID.  I'm not near my Riv to study them, but I believe this brand name is molded into the back of the mats.

My original mats have numbers printed on them, but I don't know how to decipher them.  

I'll go take a photo or two of the back of my mats to post for all to see.

Alex

4 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hey Kevin,

What color are the mats you are trying to identify?  I ask because certain colors were reproduced and others not yet.  I think the most commonly reproduced color of mats is black, beige/brown, and possibly white.  The black ones are a good bet to reproduce as this color 'goes' with most interior colors.  Oddball colors like dark green, aqua, and red just aren't reproduced because these were not common interior colors even when the cars were new.  The dark green Handi-Mats sold for full-size Buicks are not reproduced.  My car has Trim Code 620 - Dark Green.  One can buy repro mats in a lighter green, of a slightly different pattern, but these aren't correct for my '65 Riviera.  When I bought my Riv in 1983 it only had the two front rubber mats.  The driver's one had split near the gas pedal cut out.  I patched it from behind with good old duct tape.  Then, about 15 years ago I miraculously came across a set of dark green front mats with the rear handi-mats on eBay.  These were in very good to excellent condition.  Luckily mine was the winning bid at $78!  

I believe the original mats were made by RUBBERMAID.  I'm not near my Riv to study them, but I believe this brand name is molded into the back of the mats.

My original mats have numbers printed on them, but I don't know how to decipher them.  

I'll go take a photo or two of the back of my mats to post for all to see.

Alex

Alex,

I agree, the original mats have numbers/letters on the reverse side but I dont recall ever seeing "rubbermaid" on the mats. Maybe I missed it?

There are variations of these mats throughout the `60`s and `70`s with distinct changes in shape and size.

Tom