gregchrysler

brake pedal stays down -system bled 49 chrysler

Hello everybody   I have a 49 Chrysler and just bled the brakes and the brake pedal stays down to the floor   I adjusted the hydraulic master cylinder and the brakes work well but pedal doesn't 

go back to top    could it be the spring   Help

Yes.

Um, not sure how you can bleed the brakes with the pedal on the floor. Did you pull it up for each stroke?

I'm not sure what you did when you say you adjusted the master cylinder.  Did you adjust the pushrod?  If so, you may have blocked the compensation port in the master cylinder.  Did you overhaul the master cylinder?  Did you bleed the master cylinder?

1 hour ago, gregchrysler said:

any ideas?

Replace the spring..............Bob

The spring is not in the master cylinder .. It should be attached to pedal arm and  frame or dash structure  and about 5 " min long .

Before you bled the system, where was the pedal? Up or down?

If it was up, you must have disconnected the spring while working under there.

I don't know the car - i.e. pendant or through the floor pedals - but the latter have a hole in the pedal somewhere for a heavy spring, sometimes below the pivot. There will be a hole or pin for the other end of the spring.  Pendant pedals hang down; may have either a compression or tension spring near the pivot.

Thanks spinney  Spring is still intact  but I think it lost it's tension    Spring is attached to frame and brake pedal rod    but seems loose  Not enough spring lol

The pedal return spring should hold the pedal all the way up.

There should be a little travel on the pedal before the push rod contacts the cylinder in the master. If there is no free play there your brakes will lock up and not release. Been there, done that.

Use your brake spring plyers to hook the original spring in the correct location.  You can't pull it there by hand.  Where did you get the new spring from?  Post a picture of what you have done and we can help you.

• Like 1