Old Car Guy

This plate from a 1957 Super

I am a little confused decoding this plate. This is off of a 1957 Super 2 Door -The Trim code, the Paint Code is a little wonky. The style?  The Body I get somewhat -just strange -looking for some help please 

My Dad is thinking about buying this car. First the registration of the VIN was incorrect (could be an honest mistake. The registries forgot the 5 in front of the D which is suppose to be 5D1023951 from the driver's door tag. The plate on the fire wall is posted on my first post. It just has me wondering is all   

Before bothering with the body tag, tell your Dad to ask the seller to have the registration corrected.  If he won't walk away.  Your Dad doesn't need to buy someone else's problem.  Your state may accept it without a serial number verification, but many states will not.  It may not be a problem now in buying the car, but could be a huge problem when he sells it.  It will be more of a problem for you Dad to fix, than the seller, assuming he has the original documentation.

I just went through a situation where I wanted DMV correct the misspelling of my name on the title.  The title was issued 20 years ago and had a "U" instead of a "W" in my last name.  They pulled the hand written Application For Title to verify the spelling.  It was approved and I got a corrected title in 2 weeks, but if the document clearly had a "U", I would have been stuck.  My state still requires notarized signatures on titles and that could have been problematic because I don't have an ID with my name misspelled on it.

• Like 1

5D1023951

5 = Series 50 Super

D = 1957

1 = Flint Assembly Plant 

023951 = Sequential build number

Mod. 57-53  Incorrect...should be 57-76R for Super Coupe

Style:  57- 4539 = 2-door Super Coupe  Incorrect...should be 57-4537 4539 is Super Sedan

Body No:  G 11535 = Sequential body number of 2 door coupe 

Trim:  533  Trim 533 is not listed in my Master Body Parts Manual

Paint C X: 

C = Dover White (on the bottom below the Sweepspear);   

X = Sylvan Gray, a nice medium metallic Spring Color intro'd. in March, 1957.  

ACC: (Accessories, or options) B F I:   B = Heater/ Defroster; F = Safety Group; I = EasyEye Tinted Glass

The Trim number could be mistakenly struck...531 was Black Cloth and Ivory Cordaveen vinyl

but 1956 533 was Black Nylon fabric with Red Cordaveen vinyl.

Hope this helps,

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 51dyno said:

If the ID tag is with screws I would be suspicious . Titles and ID tags can be bought .

The Data Plate on the firewall looks fishy, particularly the clean "rivet" on the left,and the goofy red thing on the right.

Also, the right side appears to have been jimmied. 

This is what a data plate should look like... 

post-44481-143141733542_thumb.jpg

I would recommend this post be moved to the Postwar Buick Forum here to further sort this out.

TG

• Like 2

These are the same colors (CX on trim tag) as the Roadmaster coupe I am restoring - but different placement (mine is CXX for white roof and grey entirely below, yours would be mostly white with grey below sweepspear trim).  The tag has definitely been removed and reapplied, but that could easily be that the painter did this to be thorough when the color was changed.  I don't know why anyone would want to change such a beautiful original combo, but it happens.  

There are things to look for to clue you in on whether this tag belongs with the car.  First,  look in nooks and crannies for evidence of colors that the tag shows.  On this car, it would have been white.  Behind trunk side boards edge of rocker panels underneath, and cowl area behind back of fender are good places to peer with a flashlight. 

Next, the interior trim. TG57ROADMASTER points out he didn't see this in his book, but some trim codes came out later and may not be in the master book.  I can look at my literature this weekend if you want.

As far as the VIN, if all numbers match except the first digit being omitted, it's probably just a mistake.  Check the VIN on the door jamb against the top front of the engine block.  I have seen a couple that didn't have it stamped on the engine block, but if it does have a VIN stamped on it it should match if engine is original to the car.  I've also been told the VIN is on the front of the frame somewhere but I am not sure where.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

This is what a data plate should look like... 

post-44481-143141733542_thumb.jpg

It looks like there's some matching paint near the edges on the number plate. Was the plate factory-installed before or after the Buick was painted? If not before, why not paint on the entire plate? Thanks. 

• Like 1

They must be installed after painting as the photo of TG57Roadmaster's data plate is an original, unrestored car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 61polara said:

They must be installed after painting as the photo of TG57Roadmaster's data plate is an original, unrestored car.

This may be another one of those things that is not 100% consistent, but on the ones I've observed I normally see paint around the edges indicating the plate was applied prior to painting and then masked off.  There was probably a standard masking decal, which was not always applied straight and neat either.BigBlueTag.thumb.jpg.fac472a7e30904388f0fdc4e79514791.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/6/2018 at 7:31 PM, TG57Roadmaster said:

5D1023951

5 = Series 50 Super

D = 1957

1 = Flint Assembly Plant 

023951 = Sequential build number

Style:  57- 4539 = 2-door Super Coupe

Body No:  G 11535 = Sequential body number of 2 door coupe 

Trim:  533  Trim 533 is not listed in my Master Body Parts Manual

Paint C X: 

C = Dover White (on the bottom below the Sweepspear);   

X = Sylvan Gray, a nice medium metallic Spring Color intro'd. in March, 1957.  

ACC: (Accessories, or options) B F I:   B = Heater/ Defroster; F = Safety Group; I = EasyEye Tinted Glass

The Trim number could be mistakenly struck...531 was Black Cloth and Ivory Cordaveen vinyl

but 1956 533 was Black Nylon fabric with Red Cordaveen vinyl.

Hope this helps,

TG

Hi there and thank you - The Style 57-4539=two door coupe as I found a Buick archive site this coded to a four door and that a two door was 57-4537. 

2 hours ago, Old Car Guy said:

Hi there and thank you - The Style 57-4539=two door coupe as I found a Buick archive site this coded to a four door and that a two door was 57-4537. 

That is correct.  Also, note on the tag  Mod. 57-53; model 53 is the Super Sedan.  That tag does not belong with that car if it is a coupe.  I'd stay far away from this car.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 1:30 PM, lancemb said:

That is correct.  Also, note on the tag  Mod. 57-53; model 53 is the Super Sedan.  That tag does not belong with that car if it is a coupe.  I'd stay far away from this car.

I should have double-checked before, but it should be Mod. 57- 56R rather than 57-53.

Like lancemb says, plus with the incorrect title info, tell your dad to run away from this one.

TG