Sign in to follow this  
tony1970

abs front sensors

Hi Dave received the sensor today,installed it on the passage side front ,I am sitting in the drivers seat like you told me no more code 45 now I am getting code 22,32,42 for the other side I was thinking of switching the sensor to the drivers side to see if I get different codes,what do you think?

Something to try. Keep us posted. What is interesting is that the codes are telling us the passenger front lead is bad. That is where you put the replacement lead... correct?

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

I just recieved an e mail from Tony stating that he took the car with the "new" lead I sent him to a repair shop where it was determined that the lead was no good. While that is unusual [first time ever], these things happen and I have instructed him to send it back and I will replace it with another.

• Like 1

I just returned from the Post Office after sending a replacement to Tony. Before packaging the replacement lead I checked the lead both "static" and moving. Per Jim Finn [a parts seller much smarter then me on these things] the way to check a lead "moving" without putting it on the car is to keep the ohm meter connected to the connector and wave a piece of metal in front of the sensor barrel to see if there is "excitation" which is a movement of the ohm resistance. There was, so this replacement lead should be good.

I don't normally address parts issues like this through the forum but in this case Tony came on line with his concerns after recieving a lead from me, and I didn't want anyone to think that I was ducking or ignoring my responsibility to a fellow Reatta owner.

BTW I just picked up two more front sensor leads that tested good but need new skins on the rubber part of the leads.

• Like 1

Dave is man of honor and understanding I know that these things happen, but they always happen to me .

HI Dave I just checked your sensor and it checks out according to Jim Finn. I left my orginal sensors on I will check them tomorrow I have know idea whats going on at this point, maybe I have 2 front bad ones like I said I will check this out tomorrow if you sent out the sensor I will pay you for if mine are bad ,if not I will send it back to you. thanks tony.

Sounds like a good plan. Try them both and see what happens. Who knows maybe your Brake BCM [located in the trunk] is no good. I am in uncharted waters here so let's just start with the front leads first. I do have a "tested good" EBCM [brake module] if you need one.

HI  Dave the brake computer is brand new,under close inspection of the sensor I noticed that the 2 pins on the lead have movement up and down I have to push up on wire to keep them up even though the sensor checks out I am thinking maybe it is not making good contact when pluged into the harness.

Hi Dave did the static today on the front abs sensors,now these are my original ones I am standing in front of the car ,passenger side read 1114 with slow movement in the numbers as I waved a piece metal near the barrel the number only reached to about 1121,drivers side read 820 with fast movement in the numbers I re did again and got 1134 with fast movement of the numbers,what say you?

I believe that you have an intermittent failure of one lead which is causing your amber light to come on. The lead in question might work on the car with the wheel off the ground but it is when you are driving that it fails. The failure could be caused by just air movement across the lead as you drive, turns, or bumps/divots in the road.

I remember when I had my first failure and I was learning about these things. If I made all right turns the light wouldn't trip, but if I made one left turn the light would trip. So then I would pull over, turn off the car, then start it and drive hoping the car cleared it out up to 16 miles an hour. If it stayed off I knew I was good [unless I made a turn]. 

That is one of the reasons I got into leads. 

By the way, the lead I sent you may be bad, but how does it look? [After I get it back I am going to check the connector end and see if I can "lock" in the pin ends better].

the abs light comes on going straight, comes on at 12 mph regardless of turns and stays on till I shut the car down,then when I restart the car both brake lights are on for about 15 seconds they go out and stay out till I reach 12mpg. then the abs light comes on and stays on.

Hi Dave guess what ? ABS LIGHT IS OUT! I I used both of your sensors I guess there both good I wiil mail you out another check,if you want my old sensors let me know that way I can put the check in the box,again I want to thank you for helping me out this light has been on ever since I bought this car 4 years ago now thanks to you everything works in this car perfectly.thanks tony.

Another happy ending. Glad it worked and that everything is good. Yes just drop another check in the mail [Do you need my address?]. If you have "failing" leads it is fools errand [always wanted to say that] to put new skins on bad leads. 

Florida is hard on rubber and I try never to get leads from the deep south. The best leads come from the West Coast and rust belt states. The rubber on the leads is in better shape to start with.

Thanks Ronnie. It takes a lot of work to redo these leads and I have thought seriously of giving it up. But then when something like this works out with some appreciation it blows wind back into my sails. So as I have 3-4 more to rebuild plus existing inventory, it looks like I will be in for a while yet.

• Like 1