olds 1949--Hershey

I sure would like to have it. smile.gif 88? 98?<BR>Probably sold by now if it is a really nice one. wink.gif hvs<P>I assume you are posting this from Hershey.<BR>Could you take a minute and give us a weather report.<BR>Thanx smile.gif<p>[This message has been edited by hvs (edited 10-05-2000).]

Actually I'm not in Hershey. A friend is trying to find a fun car for me and he's found this one. Would you mind telling me why you'd like that particular car. I'm new to all this, never owed a vintage car.

My first new car was a 1949 Chev, but not a conv. I liked the lines then and I still do. The Olds was so much more car but out of my price range in '49 as was even the Chev conv. I have admired them ever since. You still need to know whether it is a 76, 88 or 98. The 76 is a 6 cyl and very close to a Chev. Both the 88 & 98 are V-8's and nice cars, but different. The 98 is the larger of the two.<P>As to value, the 88 is slightly more valuable according to old cars price guide.<P>#2 condition 88 $25,900 ~~ 98 $25,200<BR>#3 " " $14,800 ~~ " $14,400 <BR>It is probably NOT a #1 condition car. The 76's are probably worth about 2/3 of the value of the 88's. ~~ HVS<P>DON'T BUY ON MY PRICE ESTIMATES ALONE. smile.gifsmile.gif

THAT FIGURES. frown.gif Better luck next time. smile.gif<BR>Probably you should be there yourself with the money in hand if you are looking for a really nice car. ~ hvs

Howard,<BR>I'll bet our good DFer friend, Thomas from Germany, got the car! He just had it shipped to Belgium to keep us guessing.<BR>Just kidding you, Thomas!<BR>Patt

Pat,<BR>since I can't be in Hershey I have hundreds of agents on the fields... grin.gif<BR>But nice idea. I always looking for a person who I can really trust and who has the practice in old cars. For example: In the Hemmings there is a very nice 1931 Buick 8-57 but I can't fly to USA only to see this car. So I need one (not yet) who could see and examine a car for me. This person should be on the same wave what I mean when I say: " The car must be in a very nice, good condition".<BR>I was always disapointed when I didn't see a car before I bought it.<P>Thomas

I dont know about Hershey, but down here in Houston its wet and wonderful. Down to 60 degrees and raining, I love it. It has been 90 -112 all summer with no rain, so this is a welcome change.<BR>I was going to pull the rear end of my Buick apart but it is so wet, I actually watched football instead.<BR>Enjoy Montana.<BR>Bill

Just returned from Hershey an hour ago. Really don't want to post my comments yet because I feel I should think about them for a day or two. Might be sorry for any quick thoughts now.<P>As to the weather, nice on Tuesday with no rain in the Hershey area for more than a week. Had to wait about an hour to get on the Yellow Field, both major roads? were plugged with stuck vehicles!!! \<P>Tuesday night a typical Hershey shower of at least 1" hit with some gusty winds.<P>Couldn't get back on the Yellow Wednesday morning due to more stuck and regravel operations. Walked in, packed up, and moved out as soon as allowed to drive in. Many stuck!! Two assigned tractors had (have) been working full time since Tuesday.<P>Parked in the stadium area and enjoyed shopping the chocolate and white fields. <P>Again, saving my comments until later.....<P>Great day on saturday, clear, cold and breezy. Oh yes, the tractors still are pulling. Saw a big motorhome with its sides flush with the ground! Saw another that was slowly sinking while in its space during the 4 days. Hard to save my comments.<P>We missed you guys from the West. Your boots would have come in handy.<P>

Well, I'm in Montana on a borrowed computer.<BR>Anything exciting happening at Hershey? I sorta hope it was wet and miserable so I won't feel so bad about staying home this year and can act smug about the whole thing. smile.gifsmile.gif How about the rest of you who stayed home? ~ Howard Scotland

I got to Hershey on thurs pm My wife saw the little bit of mud in the white field and said she wanted pavement. So we walked the corral and chocolate annex. Friday I sent her with some other ladies. I walked the chocolate, blue and 2/3 of the white fields they were only muddy in spots. At one point it threatened but it really only dripped. Saturday it was cool but beautiful.