What is this a fuse or what found it in some of my parts

Specalist John

And a size reference.

It would have to be somewhere on the trunk, maybe in the light housing.  The switch is ON when the tilt of the trunk lid causes the mercury inside to complete the electrical connection to the light.  This assumes the object in question is indeed a mercury switch.  If you know how to use the ohms feature on an electrical test meter you can verify if indeed this is what you have.

Terry

Ok, Here we go............ If you remove the bulb and look in the socket the bottom contact you see is actually the end of the mercury capsule. It is held in a black plastic bushing. To disassemble: Push on the wire to push the bushing/capsule out of the socket. The capsule is a loose fit in the bushing don't drop it. To assemble: Capsule slides into bushing. Bushing slides into socket. Bulb goes in socket. Socket screws to deck lid. Note: The capsule will fit in bushing either end first. If you have it backwards the lite will come on when the lid closes..................Bob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Specalist John said:

Okay  Dang..The piece is screwed to the trunk lid. The wire is there... but the guts the internals are missing 

How do you know the guts are missing? If they are there it looks just like a normal socket with a contact centered at the bottom. It's unlikely someone went through the trouble of removing the mercury capsule since 99.5% of folks are clueless. OTOH...... you have only the capsule so someone (???) did take their socket apart....................Bob............................Bob

You have the power source, (the orange wire). You have the complete socket/mercury switch. I've explained how they are assembled. Your challenge now is to take the physical objects, apply the given knowledge, and use common sense to repair it................Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Specalist John said:

Hey thanks  I've found the rest of it in my parts stuff..The wire with the  electrical contacts..

There should also be a spring to push the contacts towards the bulb........................Bob

• Like 1