Need a Measurement

I am attempting to acquire an engine crank handle for my '38 Plymouth P6 but I don't know the correct length. My engine is currently at the machine shop so I cannot measure. Anyone here able to give me a reasonable measurement from the front of the crank where the handle would fit, to outside the front bumper? Maybe '38 DeSoto, Dodge and/or Chrysler could be the same length?

Thanks, Greg

Not relevant to your search,... when was the last year Plymouth (and other CDPD) came with a crank handle?

Can you make a ball park estimate by measuring the distance from bumper to back of radiator and adding a bit for the distance to the pulley? For example, my Dodge 8 has the two teeth on the pulley front less than 10 mm from the back of the radiator, which means the locking lugs would be about 20 mm further in. Your handle would go below the radiator (mine is through it) but should be fairly similar? My fan mounts against the front of the water pump pulley about 48 mm from the radiator.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

That might work Spinney, but my grill, radiator, fenders and bumper are currently removed as well.

I believe '39 was the last year for a hand crank on the Plymouth line. The redesigned '40 doesn't appear to have the facility for one.

The Dodge and DeSoto seem to follow suit with a crank hole in '39 but not in '40.

The Chrysler I'm not too sure of.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 3:23 AM, GregLaR said:

Is it uncomplicated enough to reproduce?

It is thick sheet metal with one bend and holes for the bumper bold and for the crank shape with the two ears. You would think that there would be a lot around for the 37-38 Mopars.

Cranks arrived today Scott. Thank you.

I will determine which one fits my car and then make the rest available to the members here at no cost as well.

hwellens, can you please post a pic or two of that guide without the crank handle installed?

I'd like to use them to see if I can hunt one down.

Thanks, Greg?

On 7/24/2018 at 3:15 AM, GregLaR said:

hwellens, can you please post a pic or two of that guide without the crank handle installed?

I'd like to use them to see if I can hunt one down.

Thanks, Greg?

See attached

P1130057.JPG

P1130059.JPG