1989 BUICK DIMENSIONS 3.5 FLOPPY DISK

89RegalBuick

I bought an 1989 Buick Dimensions 3.5 Floppy Disk off eBay. The problem is the disk is already formatted but won’t play on my Windows XP. If I were to format this disk on my computer it would delete all data for good. Could my floppy disk be bad or the disk is bad?

I would try a different 3.5 floppy disc drive. It sounds like either the disc is bad or your disc drive is bad. If you don't have another one to try, I have a number of different 3.5 floppy disc drives available on some older computers that I actually use to run engraving machines. I would be happy to help test it out for you if you don't have access to another floppy drive. If you need my help, send me a PM and I will give you my address so you can mail it to me. If I can open it, I can copy the data onto a usb drive for you.

• Like 3

I should probably be embarassed to admit this, but I even have a working Windows 3.1 or 3.11 laptop. Most of my engraving equipment is run off of XP machines but some of it requires a module that was originally operated in DOS and that old laptop is an easy way to reload software if that module's memory gets corrupted. They are sort of fun to play with occasionally but I really like Windows 7 better. I can't stand Windows 10 so I plan to stick with Windows 7 as long as possible for my primary computer.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I should probably be embarassed to admit this, but I even have a working Windows 3.1 or 3.11 laptop. Most of my engraving equipment is run off of XP machines but some of it requires a module that was originally operated in DOS and that old laptop is an easy way to reload software if that module's memory gets corrupted. They are sort of fun to play with occasionally but I really like Windows 7 better. I can't stand Windows 10 so I plan to stick with Windows 7 as long as possible for my primary computer.  

I run mostly Macs, but I've got specialized equipment that I have to keep XP around for.  The Commodores are just for fun.

That appears to be operate in DOS, not Windows.  That is your problem. I could probably open it on the Windows 3.1 laptop running in DOS mode and I might be able to save it in another format so that you could read it. 

• Like 1

Here’s the files some guy on YouTube shared. But I can’t open them on my windows 7. My XP doesn’t really operate good with the internet since I don’t have spy wear on there anymore. Some guy told me to use DOSbox. Not sure if they will open the files on 7.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxOZKwV6lrA.

maybe someone here can open the files for me and send them to me so I can play on windows 7

i want to somehow convert these files to a cd so it can be playable anywhere.

Well... since I have an '89 and a '90, this interests me as well. What I'd actually do is pull screen grabs (none of this video camera on a CRT business), and convert it into an interactive slide deck. For universal access, I'd probably convert it all to PDFs. If someone can get me the data off the floppy, I'd be glad to give it a go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you click on this video and then click on one of the other titles on the bottom, you'll find a YouTube video on the "sales training" for the '92 Buicks, which leads to a lot more dealership sales training/information videos up into the 2000s.  LOTS of interesting information!

Thanks for posting!

NTX54567

Remember, the greater detail in more modern graphics (including "movement"!) takes more memory to store AND faster processors to make happen.  When I got my WebTV terminal in the later 1990s, the 33.3 modem was mid-line in speed and the 97hz processor was toward the bottom side of things.  When more moving graphics became more normal, it was more than it could handle.  The "download" red light would flash for hours before one of those "expanded" images would even start to appear.  And things are much more complex now!  Even a picture with a lot of "black" in it would take longer to download!  Things that are now a "distant memory" of sorts.

NTX5467