1920-30s hood lifter? tool?

Graham Man

Here is my question, I am assuming when you went to a shop in 1929 they had a device to hold the hood when they needed to do engine work?  Almost all the cars of the era had the traditional "M" type hood with a single retaining bolt front and back.  A simple twin padded bar device that would be adjustable should pick up most hoods?  Just curious what it might look like, I would like to build or buy one for my shop.

What I am looking for, would lift the hood off the car for service.  Anyone who has tried to lift off one of these hood knows it is a two person job.  I am guessing it looked something like this.... the blue part would be the hood, suspended in the cradle.  I would guess the top bar would slide in and out for hood length, the lower bars would adjust in and out for width.

image.png.529e0b4a199eeccb9215182c1f54f057.png

How about a rope? Loop it around where the bars go in Graham Man's sketch. 2 men lift the hood off the car and hang it from the rafters in an out of the way place.

The other way was to lift it off and stand it on end and hope no one knocked it over.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The other way was to lift it off and stand it on end and hope no one knocked it over.

That is what I usually see in vintage garage/shop photos.

I like the lift you've drawn and it looks like it should work. It would be nice to make it a one person job at times. However so far the only  lifting technique I've used has been the two person technique. Then the hood ends up sitting on a trash can instead of the end as my hood doesn't have a flat end.

Carl

I have always just stood in front of the rad, lifted one side up, the other side up, taken hold of both handles and lifted the hood up and tilted the top towards myself.  Naturally the hinge retainer on the cowl was already removed.  Easy peasy.