Taylormade

Final Plea For Upholstry Help

That’s an optical illusion because you're Looking down on the cord from an angle.  It’s consistently the same size on both sides.  Now that I look at the photos, it does look like double welt cord more than hidem.

Didn't Restoration Specialties handle welting at one time?  Seems I remember buying some from them at a Carlisle show many years ago for one of the Oldsmobiles.

That definitely looks like wire-on to me as it is the modern replacement for cloth covered cane coping that I find on every original GM seat I’ve reupholstered. Now that you can’t find what you’re looking for anywhere help support what LeBaron Bonney told you? I work with them quite frequently and live very close so pick up most the interiors that I install. They are having an incredibly hard time getting the supplies they need for our cars these days. Sometimes it takes months for them to get a fabric that used to be readily in stock years past. Just recently they had delivered an interior for a AACA member doing a restoration thread hear on the forum that had a fading/color change issue. They are replacing the effected pieces even though it’s not their fault but the last I knew they were still waiting on the new fabric from the manufacturer. The members whole restoration is being held up by his upholstery and what seems to be LBs doing is really the manufacturer of the material holding it all up. There’s just not a big call for pre war fabric anymore.

I wasn’t knocking what LeBaron Bonney told me, I have no doubt they can’t get the cloth I need at the moment.  I’m going to check in with my buddy Phil Kennedy and see if he can tell what’s on his all original front seat.  After this discussion, I don’t think it’s hidem.  Probably wire-on or double welt.

Lately I've been using welt cord from Great Lakes and it appears they carry twin cordage.

http://greatlakescordage.com/braided-welt-cord/twin-welt/ 

They do sell by the yard, no need to purchase an entire spool for a one time project.

Since I use a Juki 241 walking foot machine which is a Singer 111W based machine, I get my feet attachments from either E-bay or Cutex Sewing Supplies. The foot showed in the Sail Rite video is likely unique to their type machine.

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)