1965 Buick Wildcat GS

Wolfstar

Hey! I have a 1965 Buick Wildcat GS. It was a dealer offered package but I can't find out if there was a standard package, what was offered besides the dual 4 barrel carbs. Also, about how many were made in 1965? Anybody?

1965-buick-wildcat2.jpg

1965-buick-wildcat1.jpg

• Like 2

The AACA Forum has a long list of topics.

If you scroll farther down the list, you'll see

a grouping of topics on Buicks.  The category

"Buick--Post War" might be the best one.

I hate to bear bad news, Mr. Wolf, but I'm sure

the Buick folks will tell you that there was no such thing

as a 1965 Buick Wildcat GS.  It was neither an option

nor a model in 1965.  The Wildcat GS package didn't

come along until the 1966 model year, so it's likely

that someone just added some extra name-plates to

your car because he liked them.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, the old timers and the old dealers will tell you that in 1965, the GS package was a dealer offered package and that the 1966 was a factory package.I have more than the emblems.It has all the GS items that I know of. Got photos, got expert appraisers. It has 41,000 original miles, all original everything except for the crappy 2nd paint job. It was garage kept in (I think) Illinois. It was assembled in the Kansas City plant. 

I do wonder how many of these were special ordered as there is no way to check.

GS 3.JPG

GS package.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/28/2018 at 4:27 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

The AACA Forum has a long list of topics.

If you scroll farther down the list, you'll see

a grouping of topics on Buicks.  The category

"Buick--Post War" might be the best one.

I hate to bear bad news, Mr. Wolf, but I'm sure

the Buick folks will tell you that there was no such thing

as a 1965 Buick Wildcat GS.  It was neither an option

nor a model in 1965.  The Wildcat GS package didn't

come along until the 1966 model year, so it's likely

that someone just added some extra name-plates to

your car because he liked them.

Please see my last post. BKWolfstar

It's a cool car.  I love performance versions of the GM full size cars.  I'm certainly no Buick expert, but the 2x4 bbl Super Wildcat engine was factory available in the Wildcat in 1965. I'm not sure what other "GS equipment" you are talking about.

1965%20Buick%20Full%20Line%20Prestige-421965%20Buick%20Full%20Line%20Prestige-12

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

It that's a genuine GS, I'd see about entering in the Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals show in Chicago (Rosemount) in November.

Craig

That is a long drive from Virginia! But I would love to go.

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

It's a cool car.  I love performance versions of the GM full size cars.  I'm certainly no Buick expert, but the 2x4 bbl Super Wildcat engine was factory available in the Wildcat in 1965. I'm not sure what other "GS equipment" you are talking about.

1965%20Buick%20Full%20Line%20Prestige-421965%20Buick%20Full%20Line%20Prestige-12

I am trying to find that out too. The dual exhaust? The Star Trek console? The chrome air cleaner cover? The wheels? No one has been able to tell me for sure. Thanks.

17 hours ago, Wolfstar said:

I am trying to find that out too. The dual exhaust? The Star Trek console? The chrome air cleaner cover? The wheels? No one has been able to tell me for sure. Thanks.

Just about everything on your car was available as a regular production option in 1965. The chrome wheels were an available option on any Wildcat that year.  The chrome air cleaner and dual exhaust were part of the Super Wildcat engine option, also available on any Wildcat that year.  Nothing there is part of any "GS package".

More to the point, your photos look EXACTLY like the ones in this ad from a dealership. The description in the ad claims that the car has a 401 motor, not a 425, and that the dual quads were added.  Obviously this is NOT a Super Wildcat motor if that is true. It also begs the question of what other parts were added to the car when this modification was done.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have a home-built mongrel and not some rare factory one-off.  It's a nice car, but the story doesn't hold water.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

More to the point, your photos look EXACTLY like the ones in this ad from a dealership. The description in the ad claims that the car has a 401 motor, not a 425, and that the dual quads were added.  Obviously this is NOT a Super Wildcat motor if that is true. It also begs the question of what other parts were added to the car when this modification was done.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have a home-built mongrel and not some rare factory one-off.  It's a nice car, but the story doesn't hold water.

Ooops. Viral marketing gone bad?

• Like 1

Always a mistake to try to convince the experts that you have something that doesn't exist. Experts can be wrong, but these "I have this miraculous car that shouldn't exist, please prove that I'm right" threads always go sideways. I'm reminded of the special Olds Toronado "police package prototype" that was discussed here not too long ago. Dealers don't do squat today, but back in the old days, they'd completely re-engineer a car for a customer, right? Right?

3 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Always a mistake to try to convince the experts that you have something that doesn't exist. Experts can be wrong, but these "I have this miraculous car that shouldn't exist, please prove that I'm right" threads always go sideways. I'm reminded of the special Olds Toronado "police package prototype" that was discussed here not too long ago. Dealers don't do squat today, but back in the old days, they'd completely re-engineer a car for a customer, right? Right?

Every single one-of-none car comes with a "special order" story and no documentation or actual proof. I'm really tired of the "well, anything could happen" argument, too.  On another forum, there's a person who claims that his 1972 Olds 442 came from the factory with 1971 grills, because the factory used up prior year parts.  Of course, his car was built more than four months after the start of production, and no other 72s with the wrong grills have ever been documented. ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Just about everything on your car was available as a regular production option in 1965. The chrome wheels were an available option on any Wildcat that year.  The chrome air cleaner and dual exhaust were part of the Super Wildcat engine option, also available on any Wildcat that year.  Nothing there is part of any "GS package".

LOL! That's because I bought that car from that dealer.  Feel free to call them and ask. It went from Alsip, Il to Strasburg VA. The photos are still up which is good because they took better pictures than I could. So I just download them.

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Ooops. Viral marketing gone bad?

No, that IS my car. I bought it from them in October(?) Feel free to call them and ask.Don't know why the photos are still there. BTW, it is the "experts" who are telling me about this car, including Mark and Eric at Midwest Car Exchange where I bought it and an independent appraiser and Bob Starzik, who saw it too. I have been told he is very knowledgeable about the older Buicks. I don't know enough to make this stuff up.

2 hours ago, Wolfstar said:

LOL! That's because I bought that car from that dealer.  Feel free to call them and ask. It went from Alsip, Il to Strasburg VA. The photos are still up which is good because they took better pictures than I could. So I just download them.

Since you KNOW that the car is not a factory-built Super Wildcat car, why are you even asking these questions?  The ad clearly says that the dual quads (which only came on the 425 motor from the factory) were added to the 401 in your car. That means that the air cleaner and who knows what else were NOT factory installed and were likely installed in someone's home garage. What was the whole purpose of this thread? You already know it's not a factory built car.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wolfstar, I have owned two 1965 Buick Wildcat 2-door hardtops.

There were three different model numbers produced, with the difference among them being the interior trim:

6237 - Wildcat

6437 - Wildcat Deluxe

6637 - Wildcat Custom  

Your car is the Wildcat Deluxe, with an interior that was the same as that of a LeSabre Custom.  Your car does have the bucket seat option, which was not particularly common on the Wildcat Deluxe.  The car is equipped with the short, non-operating console.  The console style is often referred to as the "ironing board" console, and was phased out during the course of the 1965 model.

As others have said, no Wildcat GS was offered or built for the 1965 model year.

Regardless, your car is beautiful.  I love it.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)