Restorer32

Model 48 Locomobile

I am very happy to read all the comments and fond memories everyone who attended the Ridgefield , Ct. meet have of that show. The flea market around the edge of the field close to the chain link fence was pretty good too, found some interesting stuff there over the years. I would drive my 31 Franklin Derham bodied victoria brougham to that show or my 41 Packard 120 woody wagon , I came up from long island where I still live.

We could start a list of the Major Collections that have cars that were at the Ridgefield Meet, "Old 16" at the Henry Ford, Bill Oexle Chrysler in the Nethercutt, Dr. Williamson Type 57 SC Atlantic in the Mullin, Peter Helck "Rabbit" in the Jay Leno Garage. Bob

13 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

We could start a list of the Major Collections that have cars that were at the Ridgefield Meet, "Old 16" at the Henry Ford, Bill Oexle Chrysler in the Nethercutt, Dr. Williamson Type 57 SC Atlantic in the Mullin, Peter Helck "Rabbit" in the Jay Leno Garage. Bob

Bob, as an impressionable teen two cars stick in my mind and maybe you know of them. One was a mile long red early Chrysler Imperial? roadster I thought someone mentioned had actual Chrysler family connections and the other was a gorgeous maroon and black  Rolls Royce town car with caning on the rear quarters. 

Howard Dennis

I recently saw Ralph DeAngeles' very original Knox touring car, but I don't remember where. Ralph always had some interesting cars in his stable and would always bring a few of them out to Ridgefield. 

What are the chances of reviving that Ridgefield meet at a different location, since there are still so many great early cars in the area? I'd even consider bringing my Loco up from Texas.

7 hours ago, jrbartlett said:

What are the chances of reviving that Ridgefield meet at a different location, since there are still so many great early cars in the area? I'd even consider bringing my Loco up from Texas.

The loss to the original Show Field started the downhill movement of the meet, inside car club friction caused a membership split. Last meet in Ridgefield was 1995 and that was done by the Lions Club, after the Car Club moved it out of town without telling the Lions Club who had cosponsored it since 1961. This was their largest fund raising event of the year . I quit the club over it and have no regrets, but the show sure was fun while it lasted. Bob 

Bob, this show was what got me pretty much started in the hobby. I talked my parents into taking me to it when I saw it mentioned in the newspaper. t was an eye opener to a 10 year old kid. All cars with RUNNING BOARDS I thought then as I do now, the coolest thing in the world, even now some 50+ years later. Many unusual cars showed up and just about all under their own power, being driven there. I total;ly agree that the loss of the original show field started the down hill movement of the meet. It was a great loss to all car enthusiasts . There was something of interest there to satisfy all pre WWII car enthusiasts from model T Fords to V12 Packards. The flea market was excellent , I remember borrowing $ from my parents to buy a large pressed steel toy 1932 Graham sedan that needed a lot of work to bring it back , but I still have that toy and restored it with my Dad about 45 years ago. You could hear Old 16 driving in while it was still some distance out via its exhaust note. Peter Helck was a gentleman , and I had met him when Austin Clark and I visited him at his house one day/evening some time prior to the meet. I remember walking up to say hello once he had dismounted from the drivers seat of the race car and he looked at me and said "Hey Walt how are you doing, good to see you again", and then reached out and shook my hand.   Geez that made my day.

I dug out the written history that accompanied my car (the blue-green Sportif pictured earlier in this thread) when Lee Davenport sold it around 1987 or so. It contains the answer on the "baggage car." It is not the green roadster, which really is a low-mileage car. 

"Alexander Stein of Byram Shore, Greenwich, Connecticut was the owner of a number of Model 48 Locomobiles and was considered the authority on the marque. His mother had purchased a seven-passenger touring immediately after World War I which Alex drove and maintained almost up to his death on Jan. 1, 1974. At that point the family car had racked up nearly 300,000 miles, hence his interest in buying lower-mileage Locomobiles. Alex had attended the Locomobile chauffeur school, giving him a head start as a Locomobile expert. For many years after World War II, he tracked most every known Locomobile in the eastern United States."    

• Thanks 1