Too hot to handle

mhuppertz

Changed my water temp sensor and when I drive around town in the high 90's is registers "HOT" and shuts off the A/C if I sit waiting to get fuel or something.

The fans are spinning but not like I think they should be in a hot engine situation.

Could it be a fan controller?

I can't seem to find reference to a controller or a replacement part number.

Here is the cooling fan schematic from the 1990.......I believe the 1988 is a little different but the other years are the same.

The temp sensor send information to the ECM and the ECM picks the relays to control the fans.

I believe there is three stages.......all depending on engine temp and if the A/C is on.

(1) engine side fan only

(2) both fans but running at 1/2 speed (this is done with the relays....placing the fans in series )

(3) both fans at full speed by giving both fans a full 12v

Your problem (assuming the temp sending unit is good)  could be a bad relay or a problem with the ECM

NOTE  what I call the ECM (engine control module) is the PCM (powertrain control module) in this drawing

cooling fans 1990.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

You have to copy the PROM program and change four bytes. Which three depends on which PROM you have. It does require a certain amount of electronic equipment. Or you can add an external thermostatic switch.