1933 Dodge transmission rebuild

Well, I am struggling with keeping my car 100% stock, well not so much. the engine is not stock, its from a 53 Dodge. however the transmission is a 3 speed and I just noticed it has started slipping. 

I am not sure what to do about this as it is so old that I am not sure if parts will be available and if they are then great, but if not, then maybe I should jump on the T5 Transmission with adapter plate idea. that way I have a modern transmission with parts readily available, also if I go that rout I may go ahead with different rear end with better gearing. 

thoughts and opinions on what I should do? 

When you say it’s “slipping,” exactly what do you mean?  Usually the clutch slips. I have never heard of a manual transmission slipping. Is the tranny popping out of gear or not completely engaging into a gear?  As I have mentioned before, adapting a different transmission to a Floating Power drivetrain is no simple job.  If you are really determined to change out the entire drivetrain, the mounting system will have to be changed,  This would mean more conventional motor mounts, a new bellhousing with “ears” to mount to the frame. A new rear transmission mount, new drive shaft, removing and welding in correct spring mounts on the rear end.  This would require cutting and modifying the frame.  You are not going to buy a T5 and an adaptor and bolt it into this car.

I would check the clutch before I did anything else.  A new clutch, refinished pressure plate and new throw-out bearing is a much cheaper and more practical solution.

• Like 1

The transmission in 2nd gear sometimes pop's out when the rev's get to high when slowing down. also, it is a Manual 3 speed stick shift and it seems like the clutch is slipping in 3rd gear when I was going up a hill last night. 

I can fabricate anything needed to fit in a T5 which is why I am in between fix old or get new.

where would I get a new clutch from? is this something that is still sold or do I have to have something made? 

Did you ever contact idrjoesandiego (Joe Ambrose in La Mesa)? He can probably guide you with the clutch thing. He's a great guy who is usually very willing to help. Tell him John Keiser sent you.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Any reputable clutch shop can re-line your clutch disk and rebuild your pressure plate.  It’s a common layout.  Does your bellhousing float, or does it have ears that attach it to your frame with rubber mounts?  Looking at T5s, there are many different configurations, but the main problem is the location of the shifter.  It’s pretty far back and may end up in the middle of your seat.  Also, the length of the unit may interfere with your X-frame member.  You can have your transmission rebuilt for about the same cost as a T5, or you can do it yourself (like I did) for around a hundred bucks.  I just can’t see chopping up a great original car when you can restore the original parts with the same amount of labor.  It’s your car and your choice, but I wish I had a dollar for everyone of these “I can make it better” projects that end up languishing in the garage in pieces until the heirs have to sell it.  You seem determined to make the modifications, so please keep us informed on the progress if you do.  I’ll be fascinated as to how you work out the problems and perform the modifications.  And I’m not being sarcastic - I really want to see how you do it and the amount of time it takes.

I can do very good fab work, I plan to look into the transmission rebuild. I want to keep it stock, but I have a 360 Mopar V8 I found for $200, I want drivabilty. I just rented the car for a wedding Saturday and I got worried the car would not start, I got worried that the car would not make it at night, and then the transmission started slipping. now if I want to keep using it for car shows and the occasional wedding, I need it 100% reliable and I don't see this vehicle being a reliable ride with these old parts that either leak constantly or have no replacement parts available. I know a T5 can work with same snifter location "so I have been told" with an adapter plate. 

The joy of having an old, mostly original car is the experience of driving and working on them.  A 360 Mopar V8 for two hundred bucks may have more (and more expensive) problems than the motor you currently have.  And as I keep saying - add up the cost of the apparently used parts you’re going to have buy and the time it will take to modify the car.  You won’t be spending time at car shows or weddings in the near future.  And are these used parts really going to be any more reliable than what you already have?  Still, show me the results, I really want to see how you pull this off.  Buy the way, If you drop a V8 in you will need a stronger rear end, updated brakes, stronger front springs, and steering, and new wheels and tires to be safe.  Plan on fabbing  a new brake and clutch pedal assembly, finding a rebuilt or new clutch and pressure plate that will fit the V8/T5.  Maybe you have the skills and money to do all this, but if it’s for 100 percent reliability, don’t count on it.  My hot rod friends have as much or more problems with their cars that I do with my all original buggy.

Sac,

I am a street rod guy and have built many like you describe.

However, I would never rod a car that is as nice and original as yours.

You will find that you will first need to decide on a front (and rear) suspension system as your original steering box will be in the way. And pedals.

If you are a good fabricator this shouldn't be a big problem what with the kits that are available these days. And engine mounts and cross members are relatively easy as well.

Another thought is that when a guy modifies an original car the potential of ever getting your investment back out of it is nil.

My advice is to keep this one stock and buy some already used up car or unfinished project for your hot rod urges.

It becomes very personal when a car gets hot rodded, very time consuming and usually pretty expensive.

Then its your personal car. no one else will want it. Oh sure they will all admire it and praise your work. But in the end those same admirers would rather build their own than buy some one else's work unless its at a give away price.

The only variant to that is the guy that does his hot rod with his wallet and those guys aren't interested in home built cars.

I have a garage full of cars that I built because of just these reasons. Each of my kids are going to inherit two cars that are already assigned and the rest of the collection will probably be sold off at loss.

In the end its your car and your decision. I see myself in you a long time ago and just want to give you some perspective from someone that's been there.

I have this one for sale reasonably if you want one that has just gone past the "worth saving" point.

Its a 31 that someone has already filled the roof so it will never be original again.

2018-03-21 2018-03-21 001 001.JPG

2018-03-25 31 Dodge (Everett) 002.JPG

2018-03-21 2018-03-21 001 004.JPG

2018-03-21 2018-03-21 001 005.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

Sac,

I am a street rod guy and have built many like you describe.

However, I would never rod a car that is as nice and original as yours.

You will find that you will first need to decide on a front (and rear) suspension system as your original steering box will be in the way. And pedals.

If you are a good fabricator this shouldn't be a big problem what with the kits that are available these days. And engine mounts and cross members are relatively easy as well.

Another thought is that when a guy modifies an original car the potential of ever getting your investment back out of it is nil.

My advice is to keep this one stock and buy some already used up car or unfinished project for your hot rod urges.

It becomes very personal when a car gets hot rodded, very time consuming and usually pretty expensive.

Then its your personal car. no one else will want it. Oh sure they will all admire it and praise your work. But in the end those same admirers would rather build their own than buy some one else's work unless its at a give away price.

The only variant to that is the guy that does his hot rod with his wallet and those guys aren't interested in home built cars.

I have a garage full of cars that I built because of just these reasons. Each of my kids are going to inherit two cars that are already assigned and the rest of the collection will probably be sold off at loss.

In the end its your car and your decision. I see myself in you a long time ago and just want to give you some perspective from someone that's been there.

I have this one for sale reasonably if you want one that has just gone past the "worth saving" point.

Its a 31 that someone has already filled the roof so it will never be original again.

2018-03-21 2018-03-21 001 001.JPG

2018-03-25 31 Dodge (Everett) 002.JPG

2018-03-21 2018-03-21 001 004.JPG

2018-03-21 2018-03-21 001 005.JPG

I am not planning on hotrodding the car, I my engine I got is for $200 because of my family owned wrecking yard, so I get ALL KINDS OF PARTS for free. :) or cheap. 

I do not want to get rid of the stock flathead 6, just mowing over my options, even if I built a 360 v8 I could throw it in something else or the 33. its all up in the air. I think right now what I want is to get the transmission corrected and have been told an old 3spd with OD will work or go the T5 with adapter plate setup. 

would you want to sell the Dodge Wing/Emblem on the back of your car? I have been looking for one of those. 

Here are several articles you may find interesting.  Note the disappointment mentioned when the T5 conversion did not produce the results expected.  I also see you've been on the P-15 D-24 site for help so you may have already read these.

http://p15-d24.com/blogs/entry/91-solving-the-modern-overdrive-with-a-floor-shift-using-mopar-parts/

http://p15-d24.com/topic/23955-t5-project/

http://p15-d24.com/topic/47606-overdrive-transmissions/?tab=comments#comment-505321

At this point it will stay with the car as I have the car advertised and the emblem and tire cover are in the pictures.

I may have to take a look at how its attached as now my curiosity is up.

• 1 month later...

well, back to this conversation, I plan on keeping the STOCK 3 speed, I have found that the tail shaft wobbles, so my goal is to now remove the transmission, have it rebuilt or try rebuilding myself. 

anyone have links to people who have done this in the past or can recommend someone in southern California to do the rebuild. 

Sorry I don't have a good current recommendation on someone who can rebuild your transmission.

I don't have a ’33 Dodge parts book to confirm, but I strongly suspect the ’33 Plymouth and Dodge freewheeling transmissions are identical (I know the PCXX non-freewheeling transmission is a little different).

I have the left over remains of two 1933 Plymouth freewheeling transmissions from when my car’s transmission was rebuilt. If any of my parts would be of use, let me know as all they are doing is taking up space in my very crowded garage (my original intent was to take the best from both of them and see if I could assemble a good working spare but it has been a lot of years and I‘ve never gotten around to it). Drop me a PM. Might be a while until I can get back to you as I’ll be out of the country for a while starting tomorrow.