RTVing intake and head gaskets

Fleetwood Meadow

I was always taught that you do not use any sealer on the head gasket or the intake gaskets. Due to them being metal they crush into the imperfect surface and create a good seal. But I was just watching a restoration show and they were using sealant on those gaskets. Whats the right answer?

I typically use a copperized head gasket sealant on metal sandwich head gaskets for engines like Packard flathead engines, but would NEVER use RTV there!!  In fact there are very few places where I might use RTV, perhaps a differential cover.  And gaskets on manifolds on similar engines should not have a sealant as, due to different expansions, the manifolds actually "walk" back and forth against the block as things heat and cool.  

• Like 6

I absolutly use to love the guys who used sealer all over the car. It made for lots of work in my shop. I probably have spent hundreds of hours repairing car that people used that junk on. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Owen_Dyneto said:

I typically use a copperized head gasket sealant on metal sandwich head gaskets for engines like Packard flathead engines, but would NEVER use RTV there!!  In fact there are very few places where I might use RTV, perhaps a differential cover.  And gaskets on manifolds on similar engines should not have a sealant as, due to different expansions, the manifolds actually "walk" back and forth against the block as things heat and cool.  

I agree with Owen Dyneto on all of the above