Not exactly round, ????????

greenie

image.thumb.jpg.18e8a3491dc3cc82f611d49aff329943.jpgOk, I am Fairly sure this is a ‘39 Buick headlight. But it’s front is flat on one side. Saw a ‘39 Buick st a show today- headlights were perfectly round. Was there a model that used this strange shape? Is the (missing) lens also squared off???

Thanks!

FB982EC6-ED65-401B-B090-49F099B1E4B6.jpeg

Edited by greenie
New pictures (see edit history)

Sure looks like Guide Multibeam to me. Probably from a GM car. Look at that reflector really closely. I'll bet you will find more weirdness. Those flat spots on the bottom keep the clamp that holds the ring on a little further from the glass. It probably isn't noticeable when assembled.

1937 and 1938 headlight reflectors are shaped like that but the headlight lens would be round on those. That appears to quite likely be from a 1939 Buick as you suspect but the headlight lens would be round. 

If it is a Guide Multibeam lamp (and I think it is) the flat spot is original. Not all versions of Multibeam have that flat spot, but a lot of them do.

I was really surprised to see that flat spot the first time I took the headlights apart on my Pontiac. This isn't my car, but it is the same.

CC-309-076.jpg?w=1200

s-l1600.jpg

I couldn't find an Online picture of a 36 Pontiac reflector. I can post one later if anyone cares. It has a pronounced flat spot, just like the one in the original post.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

For comparison, here is what hardware for a 1937 or 1938 Buick headlamp looks like. The reflector is not round. The headlamp pod is round and it uses multibeam lens as posted above. If you are looking for a lens for what you have, I have one 1939 Buick lens that I bought due to it being identified incorrectly on ebay.  The 1939 Buick lens is slightly larger than the ones used on 1937 and 1938 Buicks.    

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG