Something to think about Auburnseeker

I like Rat Rods, and this one seems to have been pretty well executed.  With that said, I hate the thought that a restorable Cord may have been cut up to make this thing. 

I'm a hot rodder at  heart, but I really enjoy seeing cars that are original survivors or restored originals.  I have a couple of "maintained" originals and a couple of hot rods.  I like both types/genres. 

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

The first car show my Dad took me to when I was 11 years old is where the wise old car collector told me "Sonny, only work on open cars, don't waste your time on any sedans." He'd be the one who stripped that car down and stashed all the parts in a barn for his convertible, just in case.  And left the worthless sedan body out in the weather. Probably didn't use many of the parts either.

He would be pushing about 120 years old now and probably forgot what HE did. Might even be a couple of 70 year old's still out there that could remember stripping out a worthless sedan if you coaxed them.

Bernie

• Thanks 1

The great Duesenberg restored Jim Hoe once bought a Model J sedan and asked to borrow an ax from the former owner after paying him. Chopped the body off and drove the chassis home and built an SCCA race car out of it. Someone will run the numbers and let us know if it is a prize winning dual cowl touring now. Bob 

8 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The great Duesenberg restored Jim Hoe once bought a Model J sedan and asked to borrow an ax from the former owner after paying him. Chopped the body off and drove the chassis home and built an SCCA race car out of it. Someone will run the numbers and let us know if it is a prize winning dual cowl touring now. Bob 

That might be where the term "chop shop" came from.

This car came up for sale in 2016 but the seller never responded. It may be the body from one of the Judkins Deusenbergs mounted on a Buick Series 90 chassis. I pretty much gave up on finding it.

00U0U_67p2QHeJBa1_1200x900.thumb.jpg.7becad47bee6f11e88455c9c36449b73.jpg

Closed cars were not held in high regard by the older collectors of the 1950's and '60's.Only a few were lucky enough to be inside. If an old guy owned his Mode A or T open car the only closed cars that might have value would be one he owned.

Bernie

The white one is really out of proportion. It needs at least 5-6 more inches in the doors/cab to balance out the rear tail of the car. I am guessing it has a Cadillac front end? Pulling the rear fenders forward and changing the location of the rear tires in the fenders would help as well. Where is my ax?

• Like 1

I went to a show yesterday at the Santiam Correctional Institute. These prison shows are by invite only however just about anybody that can pass a background check is welcome.

This year there was a bunch of newer stuff. A few from the local Mustang club and a couple of tuners. Even a Bass Boat.

Mine was the only real hot rod there.

As we were leaving the field there is a short straightaway that gave a chance to show off a bit.

I was surprised to see that no one could smoke their tires except for my lowly old rat rod.

Even those brand new Mustangs launched like they had traction control. Just a chirp.

Since I was also the only one that also smoked my way into the field I was awarded Best of Show.

A captive audience for sure.

Since they don't allow cameras in there I offer these from earlier times.

28 Dodge.jpg

34, 28, 56 004.jpg

The white one was Buick up front.

00808_5rQ0lxsvDDc_1200x900.thumb.jpg.7ecc5ec00895b2c0edca3be1ffeb79c3.jpg

My Great Uncle was in Chrysler engineering at the time these cars were built. He told me the luxury cars were designed for the axles to span a 12 foot concrete highway section, 144" so only one thump would be felt from the tar strips. A coupe with poor proportions was just a case of form follows function rather than the style we expect today.

Another consideration would be the nautical influence of cars in the '30's. The long decks carried that look, even called them decks.

I am guessing coupe roof and door tops welded onto home made doors and cowl, no cowl vent is on the car. Only a few cars had no stamped body lines coming off of the hood on the side. It looks like someone tried to highlight that missing line with a painted strip. It also looks like the roof has been widened to fit the larger Buick front. The body line/stamping running under the rear window looks to have a few dips in it, below what looks like welded/lead seams joining the roof pieces together. It would be interesting to get a closer look at that car. One of a kind

• Like 1

No opinion on subject car but posting a couple more pics of Judkins coupe for Bob, AJ and anyone else interested.  Klingberg two years ago.  I believe this car belongs to Richie Clyne, who has supported the show over the years with some nice iron.

20160618_105957.jpg

20160618_105928.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 2:03 AM, 1937hd45 said:

The great Duesenberg restored Jim Hoe once bought a Model J sedan and asked to borrow an ax from the former owner after paying him. Chopped the body off and drove the chassis home and built an SCCA race car out of it.

This is probably a great exaggeration or just an outright lie that was told so many times it was believed true. Or this Jim Hoe had some real deep seated problems.

I have heard similar stories from depression era people whom would damage things owned by whoever they perceived as "wealthy" people. This one and the old favorite of racing the big, expensive car that came in for an oil change. Any abuse when those rich people weren't looking. I have heard it a lot of old timers focused on class disparity then. But it still goes on today.

I am just imaging what it would have been like to witness that if it REALLY happened. The guy certainly beats the pants off any reality show comic I have ever seen.

Bernie

Years ago I bought a new car,

It was in the dealership for an oil change when a buddy of mine saw it doing a burn out from the local gas station.

Of coarse the dealer guys didn't know a thing about that.

Reminds me of guy who left his 63, or 64 Stingray at the Shell Station I worked at in HS.  Caused quite a stir.  Take it for short ride, to be sure it was properly placed for overnight?  Guilty, but no holeshots.  The next morning the owner did spot the mechanic doing a burnout.  It was perfectly timed on his way to work as car was moved into the shop.  I think we were all told next episode like that would result in mass firing of pump jockeys as well as mechanics!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Unfortunately that guy just proved that it could not be done with just and axe.

I don't know what that pipe was but the flame wrench was a cheat.

Oh yea, and a TOTAL waste of time and one good axe.

Its a shame that I cannot unsee that video.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Chopping some junk car body in half, at least in my mind, has a subtle difference from chopping the body off a running driving any car. Might be vague to some but I am sure happy I can recognize it.

Hollywood has been guilty of that way too many times to count!!

Craig