Got an old photo of you as a kid next to a car?

Lebowski

I have no idea why Dad took my picture in a high chair, but it's early-1958 and I'm next to their '56 Mercury Custom 2DRHT.

It was their first new car, and the one that took me home from the hospital in suburban L.A.

711529626_56MercCustomTGT.jpg.7eeb25d38144cc86798f07b81651157f.jpg

My Cousin David was about three years older than me, standing next to the Mercury, a picture that West Peterson

kindly colorized for me many years ago. It was Heath Green and Classic White, a real stunner.

56_Merc_CustomWB.thumb.jpg.56a4315849d42add15a074611a63ed79.jpg

TG

The uploader would only let me add the three at once so this is continued from above. 

That's what's left of original paint on the 48 Chevy "super" .  Even better than the regular fleetline aero.  Not many came in the rare Super package. ;)  Supposably customized by a GI prior to going and not returning from Korea.  It was bought off his family in the late 90's I believe by the fellow I bought it from in 2008. 

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

Here’s a couple of myself when I was bit younger not sure who’s Austin seven I’m standing beside but I used to love going to Vintage car rally’s and hitching a lift with who ever was willing to take me. Next photo is me and Dad with my 27 Chev just freshly restored I’m age 20

8845B643-F4D7-47D4-B711-0E01B15963B6.jpeg

D487D985-38F0-47DD-8805-DDCEC428F267.jpeg

Edited by Vintageben
Just a small correction (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have one but it's X rated. Every Labor Day we had a family reunion at a park in Sioux Falls, SD and there were 13 children in my Dad's family so there were a bunch of folks. In 1941 when I was 5 years old someone snapped a shot of me standing in the middle of the roof of our 36 Nash and peeing off the passengers side, all about 40 feet away from the picnic tables. EVERYONE wanted a copy.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, nzcarnerd said:

By 1960 we were using my grandfather's 1934 Buick (Series 40 with body by Holdens of Australia) for a trip away - I think this is Picton a town a day's drive north, at the north end of the South Island. I am the eldest of the three boys there. My mother is still in good health at 88. The car is still in storage awaiting restoration. which is probably not an economical prospect as the wood frame body need a full rebuild.

old pics 5 - Copy (2).JPG

I have edited the details in this one, and added something. I posted this photo on a facebook page and got an answer to the location. The Bellbird Motel in Picton. It is still there!

Image result for bellbird motel picton

I'm not in the photo but am the one behind the camera. Left to right are my sister, a neighbor boy and my brother posing in the 1927 Chevrolet my father FINALLY bought me after I pestered him a long time for an antique car. It was about 1957 and I was 14 at the time. He paid $25 for it.

1635374103_1927Chevin1957.jpg.cc20baee3e51b9f65ee8c77d91feaff4.jpg

This was a true barn find, pictured here with my sister at the wheel just after we removed it from the barn. We pumped up the tires and my dad towed it home 70 miles with a rope. You wouldn't dare try that today. His friend steered and stopped the '27. I got it running and drove it around the neighborhood some but never got around to restoring it. 

190838441_MiscCars_147.thumb.jpg.0247179d642830888c5697ff221f8097.jpg

Not long after that I was able to purchase this 1928 Chrysler 52  from the original owner for $15. After replacing a broken axle I  got it running and actually drove it to high school and college occasionally and on a couple of AACA local tours, one about 100 miles long. With the help of a friend we replaced all the bad wood but never completed the restoration.

187753707_Chrysler1928026.thumb.jpg.89748c88fce6e139e12006b7161b2180.jpg

By the time I got my drivers license I had four cars -- these two and a parts car for each. but ultimately life interfered (marriage, baby, etc.) and I sold them all to raise funds for a down-payment on our first home.

Don

Edited by DLynskey
clarify (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The first photo is of me (on right) and my brother Tom taken in the early 1960s. The car was a 1959 Ford Fairlane retractable hardtop. The  photo on the right is of me sitting on the deck lid of the same car. Our family sold this car to buy a new 1964 Ford Country Squire station wagon, as our family was growing.

Kevin

1959 Ford_0001.jpg

1959 Ford_0002.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not a car but one of my favorite photos from my youth.

Circa 1926 10 Ton model NW Lombard Hauler - Churchill Depot, Maine July 1974.  

I begged my Dad to let me take it home but.....

1191057995_ChurchillTractor61974-a.thumb.jpg.f5360a6e78c587eecb3aaa4d79af3b12.jpg

Same machine Maine State Museum, 2015. Got to play in it again 41 years later.

IMG_3072.thumb.JPG.cdbf30c9ff86ebd6d73b87021b26394c.JPG

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I missed those days by a few decades. Though my older friends constantly remind me of how great they were by constantly recounting the Auburn Boat tail he bought for 65 and sold for 165 and felt like a king along with others.  The best I did was an engine less 1963 Galaxie Conv't I bought out of a back yard in about 1991? for $100.  Made 7 times my money when I sold it and got a few Flathead dual carb intakes real cheap from the guy that bought it, back in the days before ebay when multi carb intakes for Flathead Fords were a bit scarce. 

Here is a photo of me on the running board of the first car my young family owned as a collector car. It's a 1929 Hupmobile Model S. Photo was taken circa 1960 to early 1962, and I would have been in first or second grade. Like a lot of little boys at that time, I was into cowboys, Daniel Boone, etc...hence the hat. 

scan0054.jpg

• Like 2

Even earlier than the Hupp in 1960, was my little gas-engine-powered "race car" which my dad and some family friends made from lawn mower parts and sheet metal. I drove it in an antique car parade in Middletown, Ohio in March of 1957, at 3 years of age, with my dad walking the length of the parade on the sidewalk, keeping an eagle eye on me, in case something went wrong. He told me to maintain the exact same distance between my car and the brass-era touring car in front of me, whether it stopped or started going faster. The photo here seems to be Dad and I heading to my position on the street, just before the parade began. The trip went without a hitch, and I was a celebrity among the parade watchers for an hour or two. Great memories!

B & W pic Dad walks beside parade (damaged) 1.jpg

jimmys little car color 800 pixels.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/24/2018 at 6:00 PM, auburnseeker said:

Unfortunately I missed those days by a few decades. Though my older friends constantly remind me of how great they were by constantly recounting the Auburn Boat tail he bought for 65 and sold for 165 and felt like a king along with others.  The best I did was an engine less 1963 Galaxie Conv't I bought out of a back yard in about 1991? for $100.  Made 7 times my money when I sold it and got a few Flathead dual carb intakes real cheap from the guy that bought it, back in the days before ebay when multi carb intakes for Flathead Fords were a bit scarce. 

No body I know including me ever thought that cars of the 60's and up would ever be much more than used cars. Old cars were Model A' and T's.  If any of us had had a clue about the popularity of those cars the barns and garages would be full of them

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

No body I know including me ever thought that cars of the 60's and up would ever be much more than used cars. Old cars were Model A' and T's.  If any of us had had a clue about the popularity of those cars the barns and garages would be full of them

Well there are quite a few cars from the 70's up that are still pretty much used cars.  In the NOS parts business you can see what cars have any interest and there are some that seem to have no interest at all. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 2:13 PM, auburnseeker said:

Well there are quite a few cars from the 70's up that are still pretty much used cars.  In the NOS parts business you can see what cars have any interest and there are some that seem to have no interest at all. 

and of course the popularity of certain models can change overnight. Look at all the cars on E-bay that never get so much as a a single bid and some you wonder what someone see in it when it is sold.

• 2 years later...

I'm helping my parents clean out their attic.   You know what that means?   Finding all your old stuff from 40 years ago.

I'm not sure what this was before,  not a prom as we are not dressed to that level of craziness.

In the background is my mom's 74 Eldorado.  My dad went through an Eldorado faze and we had a 68, 69, 71, 74 and 76.  The last three were convertibles.   He loves wide whites as you can see in the picture.   I need to find a picture of the red 69 that he put the huggy bear radiator cover on with ornament.

AJ298-Small.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Seems to me the young lady in the photo is not your wife..........🤔

You should pay more attention to how stunningly handsome I was back in the day.  The only reason I have any hair left at all is because I started with a stupid amount.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You were sporting the John Travolta look with a five year old leisure suit......the collar on the shirt and jacket are like tail fins on a 59 Cadillac. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

My first vehicle was this 1967 Triumph Daytona 500 (left).  I was 2 weeks past my 16th birthday when I got it.  My buddy had this '69 Bonneville (lucky guy) and we were headed off for a weekend camping trip on Long Beach, Vancouver Island.  We rode out onto the beach until the sand got soft and we couldn't go any farther, then pitched our tent right there.  Woke up the next morning with rainwater pouring in all around us and spent the next day in the local laundromat trying to dry out our gear.  Oh, to be young again!

700661394_67Tiurmph69Triumph.thumb.jpg.a035daeb07bc92f343c51a86f5e5e5ee.jpg

• Like 5

I pulled these out for a similar post a while back, but here I am around 1967 - I was son #3 and the one that finally put dad in a sedan. Of course the “salmon” color (aka pink) looks a bit less masculine than I would have chosen I remember that car above many others since...

6B23EBFD-E6CC-471F-A9ED-0582F9B8CCE7.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I pulled these out for a similar post a while back, but here I am around 1967 - I was son #3 and the one that finally put dad in a sedan. Of course the “salmon” color (aka pink) looks a bit less masculine than I would have chosen I remember that car above many others since...

It seems that 75% of all 55-57 T-Birds are Red or White.  A lot are Salmon too.    Not the greatest factory color palette I've ever seen.

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2018 at 11:11 PM, lump said:

Like a lot of little boys at that time, I was into cowboys, Daniel Boone, etc...hence the hat. 

My Dad used to flip a few cars for walking around money when I was a kid. Here is a picture of me with my new Fanner Fifty about 1958 or 9 with a Pontiac that was probably a $50 deal.

007.jpg.7a1b20d52cfa9717411cab00285ff6d2.jpg

I still see the guy who bought it from him around town and he always tells me how good it was.

The Marlon Brando motorcycle hat was a treasure as well. One morning I let my younger brother wear it to school. He fell into the crick where we caught the school bus. I almost missed the bus chasing that hat with the current to catch it.

Which reminds me, my daughter in Boston tells me they have creeks and basements there. No cricks or cellars.

• Like 1

Me and my family about 1966 on a Club tour in Dad's 1920 Overland Model 4.

I believe that was when the distributor went egg shaped and we had to be towed to the destination Motel by that Packard.

Dad tried to brush it off by saying he was pushing the Packard with a stiff rope.

Ives-Slides_948.thumb.jpg.798ee3206eaa97bac641b30849aa601f.jpg

Then some 40 plus years later I got to drive him around our local Airport Show.

It was one of the very few times he was a passenger in the car.

1441510376_1920OverlandDad-WindsorAirportShowonparade.thumb.jpg.e46f158b208bb8b04b39c3c9f09c593a.jpg

• Like 1

Next to a car, how about in an old car?  1906 Autocar @ Hornes Cars of Yestereday, Sarasota Fla.  Picture taken

in 1954, the red headed 8 year old in the back seat is me.  My bicycle had a 1950 Ford steering wheel,  I was hooked.Bike.thumb.jpg.ae5eec52a3d5b925e4b6507aeb41af43.jpg

Autocar1906.thumb.jpg.ec9515995b1ae68bf994d6750a444db2.jpg