Torque Ball and Axle Seal Flat Rates

beerczar1976

Anyone have access to a 1950 Flat Rate Manual?  Trailered my '50 Special up to our new address in CT from VA yesterday.  Driver's side rear axle seal is leaking.  I think it was before, but now it's flowing pretty good; small puddle on u-haul ramp.  I'm thinking, as with so many others, torque ball seal is flowing tranny fluid to rear diff. via driveshaft, overfilling it, and now it leaks.  The diff. always had a drip going on as well.

So back to question.  I probably won't be tackling these items myself.  For an experienced shop to do it, how many hours should be realistic to budget for?  Parts kits are available, so that shouldn't be a real worry.

I have a 1956 Flat Rate Manual and it says  it takes 2.5 hours to renew the torque ball bushing and  only 1.3 to renew the torque tube gasket. On the positive side it only costs $11.25 in labor to renew the torque ball bushing.

Carl

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Being an automotive tradesman, if someone came to me with a job on a vintage car and told me it was going to take me x amount of time to do it, regardless of wether I had done the job before

and how long ago I had done it, I would politely tell them to find someone else as all I would see at the end of the job was an argument over labour charges on a job that was a pain with seized parts, broken

bolts and either crusty NOS gaskets ect or nearly fitting reproduction parts.

Vintage car repair takes as long as it takes.

If you trust your repairer, then use them and let them do their job, if you don't trust them, find a new one

F/ing time books, like the whats my car worth book.

• Like 3