Need Motor Mounts for 1964 Skylark

Machine Gun

Near as I've been able to determine, new motor mounts for a '64 Skylark with the 300 engine are not available from anywhere. I also understand that the mounts are unique to the '64 model year, which explains why no one bothered to reproduce them. It looks like my only options are to have my mounts rebuilt by Steele Rubber Products, or else find a good used pair. The issues I have with the rebuild option are that the car will be laid up for about three weeks while I wait for my mounts to come back, but more important is the fact that Steele will only rebuild the non-interlocking type. I'm not sure which type I have, I'll have to check with my mechanic. He's got the car right now to do the oil pan gasket and exhaust.

In my opinion the quickest and least painful thing for me to do is find a set of good used mounts. Does anyone here know of a reputable parts house that deals in used Buick parts? Of course, all other suggestions would be welcomed.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I realized that my only practical option is to convert to the 1965 style mount, as suggested by some in other threads. I found and ordered a pair of '65 frame mounts that are due to arrive today. I sure hope that they bolt right up to the existing frame holes. If all goes well I'll order the matching rubber motor mounts and get that job behind me.

This whole thing started when I wanted to replace my badly leaking oil pan gasket, which requires unbolting the mounts and raising the engine. One of the mounts is so bad that I wouldn't dare touch it without having a set of replacements in hand. One thing leads to another, as they say.

• Like 2

Hi Mark:

Thank you for the suggestion. I knew that Steele restores mounts, but in my case that wouldn't be practical. I'm not able to do that work myself and so I have to farm it out. My mechanic can't lay up the car for the three weeks time that Steele takes to complete the job. Anyway, the frame mounts arrived on Tuesday and the engine mounts are on the way.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Final report: The conversion to the '65 style mounts is done. Everything bolted up to existing holes. Cost of the complete set of engine and frame mounts was less than the cost of rebuilding the old mounts. The oil pan gasket, which started this whole affair, was replaced at the same time and the car no longer makes a mess wherever I park it. Thanx again to all who offered suggestions.

Edited by Machine Gun
Grammar (see edit history)