Authenticity question for Tom(65RIVGS)

Seafoam65

Tom, the chrome Road Wheels on my 65 Riviera had steel valve stems that bolt on the rim when I bought it. Am

I correct in assuming that the wheels originally came with rubber  stems, and assuming that is the case what is the correct length for the valve stems?

I’m not Tom, but yes rubber valve stems.

Not certain that mine are “correct,” but I did go through BCA 400 point judging last year and did not receive any deductions for the wrong size.  

Honestly, worrying about that one may be taking it a little too far :)

9D0F116C-116A-4C0A-A706-550B8A7A2346.jpeg

C7308812-9A09-47EB-A22B-3330AB869E6A.jpeg

At a prior BCA meet, I rec'd a 4 point deduction for having chrome valve stem caps...1 point deducted for each wheel.

At my one and only BCA meet, I had chrome stems and caps where both rubber stems and caps belonged, and I received 0 points deductions?

I believe it pretty much depends on the person judging your car at the moment?

Not a factor at an ROA meet where peer judging is the norm.

2 hours ago, Rivman said:

I believe it pretty much depends on the person judging your car at the moment?

It's really too bad that judging boils down to the individual judge.  As I gather, if there are two judges for one class at a meet, you might get 400 points or 396 points depending on which judge looks at your valve stem caps. Are valve stems and caps even mentioned in the judges guide?  Or the same scenario for year to year judging.  One year you get 400 points but the next you get 396 because the judge for the second year knocks you down for the chrome stems and caps that the last year's judge didn't.  

On 6/23/2018 at 1:30 PM, BadgerRivFan said:

I’m not Tom, but yes rubber valve stems.

Not certain that mine are “correct,” but I did go through BCA 400 point judging last year and did not receive any deductions for the wrong size.  

Honestly, worrying about that one may be taking it a little too far :)

9D0F116C-116A-4C0A-A706-550B8A7A2346.jpeg

C7308812-9A09-47EB-A22B-3330AB869E6A.jpeg

Al,

Your wheel is not a `65 wheel, it is a `67 1/2 and later disc brake wheel with the smaller diameter valve stem...but the lug nuts look correct!

Tom

On 6/20/2018 at 6:41 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Tom, the chrome Road Wheels on my 65 Riviera had steel valve stems that bolt on the rim when I bought it. Am

I correct in assuming that the wheels originally came with rubber  stems, and assuming that is the case what is the correct length for the valve stems?

Winston,

You are correct, the original stems did not have the nut-secured valve stem. I`m not sure off the top of my head what the exact length of the original stem is, I do have originals that I could measure, but I`m fairly certain Napa carries a large diameter valve stem which is short like the originals.

Tom

17 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Thanks Tom. I learned something regarding the valve stem hole, I thought they were the small hole all the way back to 65. I couldn't

see how big the hole was on my wheels when I had the bolt on valve stems. 

Smaller valve stem started with the disc brake wheel revision in `67 1/2

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

He's got the sad face because his wheels are the wrong year model, not because you praised his lug nuts! Also

the correct lug nuts allow the socket on the wrench to bottom out on the wheel scratching the paint. The nuts I have on my wheels

have a shoulder that prevents this, so I am inclined to keep the nuts I have on my wheels. I hate the shorty nuts with no shoulder because

I have to be so careful removing them with an air wrench. I may still buy the correct ones, I haven't decided for sure yet.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

He's got the sad face because his wheels are the wrong year model, not because you praised his lug nuts! Also

the correct lug nuts allow the socket on the wrench to bottom out on the wheel scratching the paint. The nuts I have on my wheels

have a shoulder that prevents this, so I am inclined to keep the nuts I have on my wheels. I hate the shorty nuts with no shoulder because

I have to be so careful removing them with an air wrench. I may still buy the correct ones, I haven't decided for sure yet.

Until some picky judge knocks points off your car, keep the one that you like.

5 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Winston, yes, I realize that. I thought it would take some of the pain away by pointing out that I complimented his lug nuts.

Try putting something in the wheel socket like same size nut to keep the socket from bottoming out against the wheel and do them by hand. How often do the wheels need to come off anyway?

Tom

Not all judges are the same.......wish they were.

This year at Denver our team had a fellow that had judged at Porsche meets and he was deducting for everything....actually taking too many points off on a deductible item.

Some judges just flat miss things that should have deductions.

Sometimes you miss things because they look like the factory should have done it that way.

Hey Tom - how did you tell from the photo that these were 67 up Road Wheels? 

Just by looking at the diameter of the valve stem?

The wheel pictured looks generally similar to the ones on my '65, which I believe to be the originals...  Maybe I better get out and confirm this....

The wheel in the photo has the correct '65 center cap.  But that could be adapted.  I thought the early wheels had a smaller/larger center hole, but that isn't visible with the center cap in place.  Another difference is the depth of the wheel 'dish' (shallower on disc brake wheels) but that wouldn't be easy to confirm from a photo, would it?

On 7/3/2018 at 1:01 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Alex, yes you can tell by the valve stem being the small .453 diameter instead of the .625 diameter. Also

the shape of the wheel centers in the lug nut area is vastly different.

On 7/3/2018 at 12:23 PM, 1965rivgs said:

What?!? I said you had nice lug nuts? Sorry Bro, but dont kill the messenger!?

Tom

Not shooting the messenger Tom, just disappointed as I was certain they were the correct '65 wheels.   

On 7/3/2018 at 1:01 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Al,

Here, howz this? Better? Ebay item # 123226471800.....or better yet Ebay item #283039378114 

Tom

The seller of the first lens listed above is my restorer and he sent me one for my car ☺️.  The second one listed (although cheaper is not correct as the face of the lens is not "ribbed."  Anyone who needs one of these console lenses should bite the bullet and buy the one from AZ...

6 hours ago, BadgerRivFan said:

Not shooting the messenger Tom, just disappointed as I was certain they were the correct '65 wheels.   

The seller of the first lens listed above is my restorer and he sent me one for my car ☺️.  The second one listed (although cheaper is not correct as the face of the lens is not "ribbed."  Anyone who needs one of these console lenses should bite the bullet and buy the one from AZ...

Hi Al,

I didnt notice the difference in the lenses when I posted, just assumed they were the same lens thru 2 different distributors. The lens being sold by AZ Carman looks to be a better product, and at that price, I would hope it is. $$$$

Tom