1942 buick color last one built

chris11

Hello I am looking to find out if anyone knows what color the last car was when the shut down the line in 1942. We are building a display of the last car built by buick, also need to know what was chromed and what wasn't. All I can fine is black and white pictures and looks like the bumper is the only thing plated. please if you have any info please let me know

last2b422bbuick.jpg

Edited by chris11 (see edit history)

It's definitely a blackout model painted some medium dark color. Look up blackout model to find out what trim is painted and what is chrome. Look up the color chart and cross off black, all the real dark colors, and all the real light colors like yellow and beige. You will be left with 3 or 4 colors that might be the right ones. Then look for black and white photos of cars those colors until you find a match.

My reading just now is that blackout models were not so restricted in colour but in use of chrome and stainless steel. Makers were allowed to use up stocks of chromed parts but they all had to paint them so no-one got an advantage. Some makers, e.g. Studebaker, used it as a styling opportunity by using complementary colours on the trim, sometimes pin-striping it as well.

In the OP photo, the grill looks to be silver paint. The pin-striping on the side may be the same (not white like the shirt). The bumper looks to be shiny black. The body? my guess is blue or green. Red would be darker in the low light.

P.S. found this at https://buickman2.wordpress.com/page/102/

with caption " This photo shows the last Flint built Buick on February 3rd, 1942, before the changeover to M18 tanks in factory #62. "

image.thumb.png.39273b496690e92c1c9ee83e8f069575.png

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

The 1942 model year is the most interesting to study.  Production started around August/September 1941 and ended late January-February 1942. (not everyone shut down by the same deadline day as was originally intended) 

Documenting what happened between Pearl Harbor and the shut down is a very moving target. The government was trying to convert to full war production but no one really knew exactly what that meant or how that was going to be done.  New rules, directives and other changes were being made at least weekly and sometimes daily.  

Today we know that ALL vehicle production was ended but that was not known before the final shut down. Between the start of 1942 production and the end each manufacturer kept seeing their allowed production totals lowered. (based on percentage of their 1941 production) After Pearl Harbor the numbers shrank to the point of basically zero so the government just ended it all. But for the longest time the thinking remained that each manufacturer would continue to produce cars 'for the duration'.  

The public needed cars. The companies needed to remain in business. It was believed that to stop all production would lead to bankruptcy and job loss. (memories of the depression were not unrealistic)  But the government knew that even with restricted production each company needed to remain competitive in the marketplace. Chrome (and stainless steel) was an essential material so they early on restricted the use of chrome trim. The government knew that any company that could offer cars with chrome trim would have a strong sales advantage. Companies like GM had purchased all their chrome trim very early and had stocks that could likely last well into 1943, while the smaller companies were cash flowing their production and would run out of chromed trim almost immediately.  The solution was to require that NO CHROME be 'displayed'. If it was an existing trim part had been chromed, it had to be painted over. If you had not chromed your diecast yet, then of course it needed to be painted. 

Bumpers were exempted from the chrome ban because of their need for durability. 

Because of the thought that production might continue the companies actually had created 'black out' color combinations as official offerings. When found, this information is generally listed in service bulletins, sales letters, etc. Documentation that is readily lost to history. The combinations always used the effect of strong contrast - dark body? light trim. Light body? dark trim. The body colors all seemed to have been continued from their original 1942 palette with the colors of gray & silver commonly used for the trim (I have never heard of white being used). Light colored cars generally carried the darker version of the body color. (light green body, dark green trim) To add visual interest and style, pin striping was also liberally applied to the painted trim . 

There is a Cars and Parts magazine from the late 70s early 80s that has the story of an original blackout 42 Buick. The article quotes from the factory letter and lists all the available blackout combinations. I dont have the issue information with me but it would be worth your time to search it out. 

Because things changed so fast and nobody was documenting these changes, this model year remains ripe for new discoveries. Decades ago I found a 1942 Buick Special sedan (black out version) in a wrecking yard. Originally dark green? olive drab? couldn't tell, but most interesting was that the 'stainless' trim that was embedded in the rubber around the glass was mild steel(!) It has the smooth surface rust one would expect on a fender. This meant that they had run out of (pre-stamped) stainless parts (that could be painted) and were putting basic steel into the forming machine for production. 

Another  interesting bit of information I discovered by studying the weekly editions of Automotive News is that in late December 41 January 42, there was talk of allowing ONE "Victory Car" to be produced. One manufacture might be allowed to continue production of one simple version of an automobile to supply civilian needs. 

I have always wondered who that might have been? Or who it should have been? 

Ford or Chevrolet? these were big plants that the government needed

Some small independent? Husdon? Nash? even Willys? How might have continued production of one of these makes have affected their postwar experience?

Of course it could have even been a Ford or Chevrolet produced under license in the Studebaker or Packard plant? 

1942 a fascinating model year. Good luck with your display. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Use of chrome trim was limited because they needed the chromium and nickel to make high strength steel for tanks armor plate etc. Stainless steel trim was replaced with plain steel, chrome plated items were not plated, both were painted. Leftover stocks of chrome items were painted for the sake of uniformity.

In April 1942 in the US sales of new cars was suspended and remaining stocks taken from dealers and manufacturers and put into bonded warehouses where they were rationed out for the next 3 years.

Some were issued to the military, some were sent to be converted to stretch limousines for bus work, some were issued to critical workers like doctors, veterinarians, farmers and government officials.

I'm guessing that you photo is of the California plant, which I think was the last to close.  The car in the photo is a solid color not a metallic as the last Buick from the Flint plant.  That narrows it down some (so exclude the paint names that end in poly).  I converted the 1942 paint chips to gray scale and compared them to the photo.  I believe the car is Ludington Green.  There are other options, but in my opinion, the color is one of the greens.

last2b422bbuick.jpg.7617a81ccaaa7fec6469422577a7691f.jpg.2cc526e45b33c5e13d76c25c68f57693.jpg

1942-Buick-pg01a.jpg

1942-Buick-pg01.jpg

Edited by 61polara
More info (see edit history)