1937 dodge inlet manifold prob

panelbeater1234

Would somone be able to tell me is it ok to leave the little hole open when assembling the manifold to the block ..i was freeing the rod on the side and i heard a pop and a small hole apeared  but looking inside i noted a small channel  so i ges it is there for a reason . also a stud broke off i would asume it would be ok with three studs .Kind regards John

2003_02040011.JPG

2003_02040012.JPG

Umm no, I think we're looking at the heat exchanger between inlet and exhaust manifold. You don't want to have exhaust and inlet gasses mixing, and even without the hole you will have an exhaust manifold leak without the four studs.

You will have to remove that broken stud or you run the chance of warping the manifold and it will leak and suck air. i think, but I'm not positive because I haven"t seen the inside of an intake for a while, that the little hole is part of the manifold drain system. The fitting that screws into the hole on the side of the manifold not only retains the heat control spring but allows the draining of excess fuel in case of severe flooding. The hole should be threaded for 1/4 in.pipe, I'm surprised that you have gotten a bolt threaded into it.

The drain would have a piece of pipe hanging down. Sometimes they had a little ball valve on the end to prevent it sucking air. Other times it seems the end was squeeze shut; it still sucked a little air but also allowed the fuel to slowly drip out.

From memory my Dodge Brothers 8 has the squeezed end and 1939 Studebaker has the wee ball valve (a ball in a cage).