Auto Theft Devicey

MickyDC

19 minutes ago, filozof97 said:

How does it work?

It is for use on wood-spoked wheels.  The pointy side goes to the outside and functions like the more modern "Denver Boot."  The "signal" occurs when the wooden wheel is destroyed in its first revolution. 

I can see how this would attach. The point would be outside, and would strike the pavement once each revolution. That would be the "signal" sound, which would probably scare a thief. I would think that if the spokes were fairly young and still very sturdy, it would make quite a few revolutions before absolute destruction took place. 

However, I am NOT so confident that I would be willing to try it out on my own car! LOL

• Like 1

Hmmm...maybe this is for a motorcycle or such? I'll have to check the wheels on my 23 Hupmobile when I get home, but I'm thinking it would take something larger than 4" diameter to fit through the spokes and all the way around the tire and rim, etc. Come to think of it, it would seem to be a very good tool for stopping anyone from riding off with your motorcycle or bicycle, etc. 

23 hours ago, filozof97 said:

How does it work?

It clamps around the tire. If someone tries to drive off it digs in and stops the tire from rolling, or makes a big BUMP BUMP every turn of the wheel.

Looks like it was made for a Model T or a car with the same size tires as a T. You would need one made for your tire size. It has to fit tight and not flop around.

Was at a car show in the early 1960's where a fellow very proudly displayed one of these on his Model T speedster. He forgot about it by the end of the day but was quickly reminded as he went to drive off. That device made a big slice in his fender before he could stop. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  It may reach around a tire and lock.  I am going to try and have a key made for it. I just thought it was an interesdting item so I bought it.  If I find someone at any of our car shows with a T I may approach them and see if it will fit their car.  By the way I miss WA state.  I am from Centralia, WA