Ruggles Truck?

mtnchev

At a cruise-in last Saturday I ran across a flatbed truck that was badged as a Ruggles.  Looked to be about  1 1/2  capacity and a tag on the cowl said it was a 1929 model.  I've never heard of a Ruggles truck before.   Anyone know anything them?  Sorry no picture, left it at home.

Larry

Ruggles trucks were also built in London,Ontario on Dundas Street East.The building still stands and is used as a used car showroom. Attached also is a photo of a restored example working with a steam shovel.

Ruggles factory.jpg

Jim Pictures from work computer 131.jpg

• Like 2

If you're anywhere near a decent public library, they'll usually have reference copies of one or the other of

Georganos'  World Trucks---a comprehensive reference work

Mrozs' US Truck/Comm'l Cars Ency--very good on US stuff---either very handy for looking upinfo on long gone makes

Georgano also published  a little World Truck book just listing names, addresses, years of prod, type and country of origin but no thumbnails...

• 1 year later...

Here's most of a Ruggles truck in Rockville, VA.  Looks like it could be restored with a lot of work.

20190920_134119.jpg

20190920_134126.jpg

20190920_134134.jpg

• Like 1

Here's an odd point---Mroz's Ency---which is generally reliable---says Ruggles built it's own 4 cyl engine in 1921-22, only switching to vendor engines in 1923...

But the 3-4 old catalogs I checked all showed a mix of  vendor engines from 1920 on, nothing listed for "own"...

You sometimes womder how these managed to escape all the scrap metal drives and thr later ups of scrap prices...

Per Mroz Ruggles was president of Republic Truck 1917-20...

Well, Mroz was partially right, and my old catalogs again "incomplete"...

The 1921 announcement of their 1T did specify Cont'l, but the 1922 anouncement of their 2T described their own 4x5 38HP 4cyl; if that asn't bad enough, the 2T has a Ruggles designed rear axle, which might further complicate restoration...

While both my 30 McCord and 38 Victor gasket catalogs list Ruggles trucks with various vendor engines, neither lists any Ruggles motor, which apparently was only used in 1921?/1922 and maybe early 1923...some parts, not listed in the catalogs, were sometimes available on special order...