Buick35

Trade advice,comments

I know they're two completely different types of vehicles but someone might trade his 28 model A pickup for my 74 mgb. I know it's up to me but do you think I'd be happy with the truck after driving the mg? The MG dosent have over drive so I don't go over 65 anyway. I figure the top speed for the model a is what 45? Thanks, Greg.

Apples and oranges. Other than mentioning the OBVIOUS differences there is no way any one here could possibly tell you which one you would be happiest with. Take the A for a few drives under various conditions and pick your poison..................Bob

• Like 1

Can you fit comfortably in the Model A pickup? I am 5'-7 and I was chewing on my kneecaps in my 1928 Model A pickup. MGBs are very light cars, so....easy to push when those Lucas (Prince of darkness) electrics fail.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Do you want the feel and slowness of an old car? Do you want the comfort and speed of a sports car? Do you want the old car experience or do you want to keep up with traffic, but still have fun in a convertible?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Apples and oranges. Other than mentioning the OBVIOUS differences there is no way any one here could possibly tell you which one you would be happiest with. Take the A for a few drives under various conditions and pick your poison..................Bob

More like avocadoes and pumpkins. If the other guy has always wanted an MGB and you would like to have the Model A....  I've owned a B and driven both, enjoyed both but for my own subjective reasons. How does your Buick come into this mix?

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)

You sure baby your MG. They are Sports Cars and benefit from being used as such. I have owned several MGA's and MGB's mostly without overdrive and they are quite happy at 85-90 MPH. My slightly hot rodded MGA with a moderate street built MGB engine , bigger valves , balance, hot street cam, would run at 110 quite happily. An hour at 120 across the Nevada desert did cause the head gasket to let go, but that is the only serious trouble in many years of spirited MG driving. And it was back driving in 3 hours, there was a town not too far down the road and the auto parts store had a MGB head gasket set in stock.

Nothing against Model A trucks however they are polar opposites.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

All oranges are not equal.

TypesOrange.jpg.278fe1bad3506a301b78b211cbab2527.jpg

In fact, neither are all apples.

222101500_TypesofApples.jpg.22c28115c92c914731ddfa52a5e390ca.jpg

Who came up with that axiom, anyway? Were they looking at red delicious or Macintosh????

As for the A vs. the MG; one is taller. I would say the person who had the idea to trade will be the happiest. Was it you?

Bernie

Yes it was my idea. I'm glad somebody told me about the leg room issue, I was wondering about that since I'm 6'1" .I'll probably keep the MG since I do have the 35 Buick for an old car. Thanks. Greg

Edited by Buick35
Spelling (see edit history)

I had a '30 Model A several years ago and I don't remember any serious problems with leg room in it and I'm 6 foot. Take it for a drive or at least sit in it and see what you think before you decide against it....

Model A3-1.jpg

• Like 2

If you want something to beat around town,  run to the feed store,  hardware store and Lumber yard,  the A would be perfect.  If you like long summer rides with the top down on a fast highway,   then the MG is probably a better choice.  If you are just banging around with the A,  I doubt the leg room would be a problem, unless you have a prostetic leg,  then there is always plenty of room to store it in the back. ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I had a '30 Model A several years ago and I don't remember any serious problems with leg room in it and I'm 6 foot. Take it for a drive or at least sit in it and see what you think before you decide against it....

Model A3-1.jpg

The girl in the picture above in solid pink has a look on her face that seems to say How did I draw the short straw?

Remember the 1928 Model A pickup is smaller than the 30-31 and the pickup does not have an adjustable seat.  I've had both.  The 28 Roadster pickup was so small for me 6'1" that I had to open the door to get my size 11 show on the clutch.  Fun to drive if it fits.  I also have a 35 Buick Series 41

that's not exactly loaded with leg room either.   

Well, I had been thinking more like apples to pepperoni pizza. Both fodder, but uhhhh........... Looka here, Buick35 Greg. You will most likely not be able to pack a lunch big enough to last 'till you get such a specific trade. Sell, then buy, or buy, then sell. But like the guys say, enjoy shopping around. Check them out. You might just fall in love. And if "divorce" eventually puts your then stale love on the market,  there is always another guy to come 'Round and take your place. Moving Model As is easy. Simply put 'em out there at a better deal than anything else on the market. You will have had a lot of fun for your money.  -  Cadillac Carl 

23 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

The girl in the picture above in solid pink has a look on her face that seems to say How did I draw the short straw?

She had just finished eating an ice cream bar and was complaining about her hand being sticky. LOL....

I'll never understand the fear people have of posting photos to go with a question. I did take the tine to Google 1974 MGB since I know what a Model A pick looks like, but that is meaningless since we can't see photos of the vehicles in question. 

Bob 

A friend of mine bought a '28 Model A roadster pickup and kept it about a year. I rode with him for coffee with a group on a 20 mile round trip ride. That was about enough for me. There ain't much to those things. Sitting on the passenger side I had the feeling I was about half a notch up from riding in a motorcycle sidecar. I was squirmy uncomfortable the whole trip. Not the seat stuffing, the feeling of insecurity. I will stick with my Buicks and Cadillacs, thank you.

Bernie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Model A3-1.jpg

Looks very similar to the one of dad’s I sold. 

BE0F7D42-4263-46C4-B98C-26AC34862E77.jpeg

• Like 1

I would choose the Model A hands down. The only thing more fun than a Model A is a Model T!!

Go for it. You'll enjoy the experience and understand why the Model A Ford is the backbone of the old car hobby.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, motoringicons said:

Model A Ford is the backbone of the old car hobby.

That and the SBC.

Oh wait, I think these come in the same box.

• Haha 1