Lost Topic - 1938 1/2t Engine Removal Project

Alan Cutler

Hi Folks, the admin of this forum has not been able to locate the Engine Removal topic...If anyone needs specific photos or advise please feel free to reach out to me.....

Sorry...

4 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Oh dear. That's poor. It would appear there is no backup either. I was following your topic. How about resuming where you left off?

I found that tough news too....I am sure Peter is trying everything he can, keeping in mind the Admins are all volunteers....

Yes, of course, I will leave off where I was, currently waiting on a few parts to arrive from Dave (Country Traveler) and a few from DCM in Mich. and I will resume...

I will use this new topic thread to continue....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks, spent the weekend refurbishing the Shock Absorber mounts, from powder coating to running tap and dies through all the threads....also mounted the flex brake lines, and the spare tire mount.....

IMG_4484.jpg

IMG_4483.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg

Moving along this weekend, looking forward to a mid-week Independence Day....installed all four corner shocks with the correct hardware....also ran the long brake line for the rear portioning block....next week, rebuild the master brake cylinder....

26CD183F-306C-4BB2-A272-51E20420466A.jpeg

5BDD58E9-03A2-41B6-B425-9B925695836B.jpeg

D1FC504C-33B8-4CA3-BA21-8B5B9BA3C844.jpeg

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I fabricated and welded the rear front fender supports and just got them back from the powder coater....looks awesome!

image.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

I like your wheel dollies. Very simple! Good to see some progress.

I also like your drag link end dust covers. They are a clear development over the Dodge 8 covers, which are two curved plates that fit partly over each other and are held on by a long spring around the end.

This is what the cover looks like prior to installation...

image.jpg

Big thanks the the guys at Dodge Central of Michigan....they found by far the hardest part to come by....transmission mounts....they are off to get vulcanized.

image.jpg

Alan,     

Assuming the engine splash pans (between frame and engine) are the same on a 37 Dodge truck as those on your truck would you have a photo of a good set or at least those that haven't been butchered? The set I have are missing sections. I'll make a new set after I see a complete set. 

I'm nearly ready to begin welding together a newly fabricated box for the 37 using a repop tailgate and front end panel. I am using original stake pockets and we formed the floor channels on my Pullmax with the seam down the middle as original. 

I'll post pics of it fairly soon.   

Your work looks good and thorough. 

Thanks for any help.     John

Hi John, I do have a complete set, taken from a Donor truck here in Norco, CA.

I remember one of the panels had been bent but was still useable.

I have not begun the refurbishment on them yet.

I will pull them out this weekend and take some pictures.

Vic Panza has a '37 at 99% complete in the refurbishment, also reach out to him. PM me if you need his contact info.

Alan,     

Assuming the engine splash pans (between frame and engine) are the same on a 37 Dodge truck as those on your truck would you have a photo of a good set or at least those that haven't been butchered? The set I have are missing sections. I'll make a new set after I see a complete set. 

I'm nearly ready to begin welding together a newly fabricated box for the 37 using a repop tailgate and front end panel. I am using original stake pockets and we formed the floor channels on my Pullmax with the seam down the middle as original. 

Ok Thanks.  I think I will start a thread on the topic in case yours are different than mine.    John

On 8/9/2018 at 6:03 PM, johnworden1 said:

Alan,     

Ok Thanks.  I think I will start a thread on the topic in case yours are different than mine.    John

Here you go, I’ve even included the side splash guards that go vertical along the inside fender, notice the passenger side is riveted and the driver side was bolted....

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Ok Folks finished up the master cylinder rebuild...Not much happening the rest of the summer, waiting for the engine blueprinting, vulcanized rubber, emblem rebuilds and of course the bed and cab...as soon as items come back, I will photo journal it. 

Still need to purchase running boards and a tailgate.

Big thanks out to Mark Wyman at Marksfinds4lessvintagecarpartsandmore.com by far the largest NOS catalog I could find...

Until then, enjoy the photos...

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

5 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Just to inform....your bumper guards are upside-down.

Yep, wifey mocked it up, to see if we had any warping from the heat treatment during chroming.....girls !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, johnworden1 said:

Thanks Alan. Concerning the 2 large openings in one of the panels, one square opening and one half oval opening, what do each of them provide clearance for? 

John

Memory may be coming back....one is for the exhaust the other is for the spare tire mount....

On 8/12/2018 at 5:30 PM, keiser31 said:

Just to inform....your bumper guards are upside-down.

She aplogizes to the purest....

image.jpg

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, vicpanza said:

The other hole, towards the front of the shield, is for clearance for the fuel pump.

Thanks Vic. I could not remember, and since I am still waiting for my engine to deliver from the shop, I would have eventually figured it out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...