In honor of Father’s Day

Please post your favorite photo(s) of your father with his car(s). 

This is one of my father with the Skyliner. This is a picture of a photo, so it’s not real clear. Eventually, when I get unpacked from moving (again this week), I will try to post some others. I have some of him even as a teen in Inkster, (and probably Dearborn Heights also), Michigan, in the 50’s, with his first flatheads. 

Happy Father’s Day to you all. Wish I could spend it with my dad. 

1AFFB47B-715C-4B9F-A59D-D5BB8940BD4A.jpeg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Thank you for sharing Eric. Very neat pics. Sorry for your loss. I miss my father also due to his memory loss. I have to move this weekend and am unable to make the 4 hour trip to see him. I hope you find some peace in your happy memories with your father, as I do. 

This was taken when my grandfather bought his brand new 34 Dodge.

My dad (at sixteen) at the wheel and his younger brother standing. Uncle Bill lost his life in WWII so I never met him.

I recall my dad commenting on his dad bragging that he drove his Dodge from Seattle to Detroit and back and never had to take a wrench to it.

FJs 34 Dodge.jpg

• Like 3

How I wish I could locate the photo I have of my father standing next to a 1948 Chrysler he bought in the early 1950s.  He was a fan of Chrysler’s all his life.  I got my shade tree mechanic skills from him as our cars usually came from the back lot line up at the local used car dealerships.

Terry

• Like 3

In 1966 my dad bought a new Chevrolet 3/4 ton truck, long bed custom camper special with 327 cid, auto, and 4 barrel carb.   He kept it until recently when he gave it to my younger brother who just started to restore it to like new condition with the intention of giving it to his son when he is old enough to drive.   My nephew is three years old which means my brother has 13 years to get the truck restored.  

Attached is a picture of my brothers, and I, with the Chevy truck when new.   My oldest brother is on the left, younger brother in the middle, and I am on the right.

The second picture was taken about a month ago when my dad was released from a long stay in a nursing home.  Dad is in the middle, with my younger brother on the right and his son, the next owner of the truck, is on the left.  I guess you could say three generations and one truck.   My young nephew calls the truck "my truck" and one time managed to start the truck all by himself - at the age of three.   My brother did not know his son had started the truck until he heard the engine rev.   

Truck with kids.jpg

Truck with dad at nursing home.jpg

• Like 4

I don't have a pic of my dad with one of his cars but I do have one of him with a jeep owned by our favorite uncle. It was taken in 1945 when he was 18 and an MP in the Army. In the background is the Pentagon. He died in 2012. Happy Father's Day, Pop!

178292_4801331234088_193901987_o.jpg

• Like 3

Here is a picture of me and my dad, from about 10 years ago. (had black/white film in the camera) I  just got back from a road trip. Went to KS to pick up my 49 Cad. And was in the middle of vacuuming out half eaten acorns. Something was living in the car, and loved to pack in acorns, and eat just half, maybe the other half was being saved for the Y2K Apocalypse.   

49 cad 004.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Victoria, my Dad wasn't much of a "poser", or even much of a car guy since he worked at dealerships all day,  so it was hard to get a pic of him, but here he is with our 55 Studebaker Champion and me acting like a monkey......  My Grandad, ( on Mom's side ) on the other hand loved cars and wasn't a bit bashful. He was my "other Dad".  Both gone, both dearly missed. The Chevy was Grandad's last car, my cousin is with him.

us and 55.jpg

grandads last car.jpg

• Like 3

My Dad loved cars and instilled that in me.  He didn't have old cars, but supported me in my endeavors.  When I turned 16 and was given a handed-down 8 year old Dodge (1961 Dodge Polara 2HT that he bought new), I told him I thought it needed a tune-up.  Thinking he would say, "We'll take it to the shop", he surprised me and said, "We'll buy the tools and parts and do it our self, if we break something we can't fix, then it will go to the shop".  We did my first tune-up together and it worked.  He loved attending shows and events with me.

Dad and his older sister on Grandpaw's 1919 Maxwell.  His sister is now 103.

273654467_page8dhazellistonzoom.jpg.e2ad78312cf8c71149f7dbd4663afd2e.jpg

Here he is on the left with his life long friend with his first car.  This is about 1942.  Both of them left North Carolina for the first time to work in the Glenn L. Martin factory building the Martin B-26 Marauder in Baltimore.   Both were drafted from there, Dad serving in the 164th Combat Engineers in Europe.

LEB_36Ford_Oren.jpg.cfba88c82a701958fec033c32a12fd14.jpg

His last car, another coupe was a 1988 Oldsmobile Toronado Trafeo.  I miss him dearly.  He was a great father and friend and I would not be the person I am without him.LEB_Toro1a.jpg.dceee50a2785f7221e2333a88de01650.jpg

• Like 1

Here is Dad with his 1920 Overland touring playing the part.

5787908_1920OverlandDad-WindsorAirportShow-Copy.jpg.6740269b10717e91f71528918dd7ca79.jpg

Restoring his beloved 1928 Whippet.

1568691017_1928Whippet-restorationprogresspic3-1992.jpg.24243b04f918c99c1abdd2f67f997765.jpg

It took him 28 years to complete an amature restoration but he was proud of it!

62167018_YpsilantiOrphanCarShow2011-pic1.JPG.10662ded535edb6269514b4e8ebad3ac.JPG

Thinking of you every time I look at the cars Dad.

RIP

• Like 3

Victoria,  thanks for such a wonderful and timely thread. I also have to say how much I have appreciated the subsequent additions. 

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend. I'm taking my Lincoln and kids to the Motor Muster in Greenfield Village. It should be fun.

• Like 1

Here is my Dad, I am named after him and he was the best traveling partner you could have.  From him, I learned how to enjoy traveling on the road, where to eat, where to stop.  It started when were young as we went everywhere by car. It has continued through life. We drove cross country both east West and North South.  It didn't matter to him where we went as long as we were going. I am leaving Monday for Denver and wish he was going with us.

He was a Navy pilot during WW2 and a private pilot afterwards and taught me how to fly.  He was a golfer since boyhood and instilled that love on all his sons. 

I miss him a lot and think of him often. 

Thanks Victoria for this thread.

IMG_0017.jpg

• Like 1

Fathers day ---

my favirot 

me and my dad driving  my 1929 Doge  GOOD TIMES  . Me and my kids and wife departing for a long sail showing my kids how to have fun.sailing .both my boys are in to rebuilding cars. eat ,sleep,breathe , cars ,''go to church'' car's.  chip off the block!

me and my youngest daughter  are now looking for her first car to do a frame off together . { Daddy's little girl}  DAD taught me how to be a good DAD. 

20180614_222522_HDR-1[1].jpg

20180614_223601_HDR[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here  is a picture of my Dad in 1942  ..I believe his car is a Plymouth . this was just he went in the army . I learned a lot of things from him . Kings32

King photo0001.jpg

• Like 2

The senior assisted living facility where my father lives had a Fathers Day car show today.   I took my 1929 Studebaker President.    Some of the residents are over 100 years old.   They really enjoyed seeing my 1929.  I got to talk to many of the residents and relive with them the memories of cars older than mine that they had when they were just old used cars.   

IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_3372.JPG

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I remember my wife’s grand father always drove Buick’s. His last one was a 225 gun boat that her dad had to finally take the keys away from him as he was very dangerous on the road. He was living with her parents and they put the car in their garage (her mom’s car of course was left out on the drive). Little did they know he had a third set of keys. He opened the garage door got in, started it up, dropped it into gear and proceeded to drive it into the family room. Went for drive instead of reverse. Father’s Day 1974 an hour before the whole family was showing up for the picnic. Dad asked me to disable the car after that. 

Hope you all have a happy Father’s Day. 

Dave S 

• Like 1

Here is Dad at about age ten. A relative had just purchased a brand new 1947 or 1948 Frazer from the Willow Run factory in Michigan and drove up to visit family in Saskatchewan (that's in Canada) and he got to steer this car around the farm yard sitting on the uncles' lap. It was a new and exciting experience for him and apparently made quite an impression, he now owns 4 Kaiser/Frazer automobiles.

scan0003.jpg

• Like 1

Here is my Dad... I'm not sure what year this is, he was born in 1931, so maybe he is 6 or 7 years old?? And the car behind him... I'm not sure of the make....   any ideas ?  The other picture is his first car that he purchased after serving in the Navy ... 1955 or 1956 Ford.  Dad passed in 2000, but thanks to him, I enjoy working and driving these vintage autos !

Happy Father's Day

img045.jpg

img044.jpg

50 minutes ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Here is my Dad... I'm not sure what year this is, he was born in 1931, so maybe he is 6 or 7 years old?? And the car behind him... I'm not sure of the make....   any ideas ?  The other picture is his first car that he purchased after serving in the Navy ... 1955 or 1956 Ford.  Dad passed in 2000, but thanks to him, I enjoy working and driving these vintage autos !

Happy Father's Day

img045.jpg

img044.jpg

Pretty sure that’s a 56. The other maybe a 40’s Ford? You will get an answer here from the pros. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the information, I appreciate it. I remember him speaking about Crestliner, Saratoga and Karmann Ghia's that he had during the 50's...But  I do remember the Covair's and Impalas during the 1960's when I came along !

My dad had a service station on Long Island, NY  and much time and energy was spent racing cars in the late 20's and 30's. The other picture is him coming home after stealing my car which he would do any time I slept late.900192750_dadsracecar.jpg.990fdaca28502ac275e217609ac8a3e3.jpg635430605_docin62.jpg.0870d947cf85c91119fc05deaf164bd3.jpg

• Like 3

VL2,

Sorry I'm late to the party but here's a couple copies of copies of photos of my dad with cars from back when.  He was born in 1925 and passed away in 1971 after an accident. In the second photo he's with his father, my grandfather and finally,  in the last photo we see him in his Navy uniform after being recalled to active duty for the Korean war.

Dad's First Car.jpg

2 Gen Car.jpg

Dad & Merc.jpg

• Like 1