f/s Model A airplane engine

drbs

Owls Head Transportation Museum is working on a Pietenpol which I have looked at several times while volunteering there, it’s what makes me think it’s a T engine and not an A. I’m sure the finned Head was made to convert it to air cooled and is the most interesting part of the engine.

Sell it to George. He is a good man, and loves machinery like this. I am Cadillac Carl, and recently noted that George supplied two old 1920s Cadillacs with sets of wheels to put them back on the road. And the wheels which were in excellent condition went fast because Generous George was more than fair on his prices. This is an unsolicited testimonial, although I do communicatie with George occasionally.   -  CC 

I absolutely agree that it is a highly modified model T Ford engine, and most likely was intended for or used in an airplane. Most likely a small Pietenpol. I don't know how many were built way back when, certainly not many by automotive standards. However apparently more than most people would think. There is also a restored plane (that I believe was flown a couple decades ago!) on display in the model T Museum located in Richmond Indiana. The Museum is the result of the combined efforts of both major national Model T Clubs and their many members that donate time, money, and treasures to a worthy cause.

I am not begging for donations, just passing on more information about a little-known area of model T and automotive history. There also is a Pietenpol association with an annual fly-in. Most of the flying planes are model  A engine based slightly larger models. But I have read reports in several years of their fly-ins, and usually a couple of the smaller model T based planes also participate.

That is an incredible engine! It definitely needs to be preserved and displayed in some good place.

Dave if u will accept my $500 for the engine I will immediately donate it to the Ford Model T Museum in Richmond Indiana. National Model T Club board member and friend Steve Ellis of Ocala said he would assist in making it happen.Steve said it’s a display piece because there are several design flaws he sees that would cause problems with making it operable.i am available today after 11. Thanks George Albright 3528431624