New Classic Buick Owner

My name is Paul although my grandsons call me Poppy. I am retired and after years of waiting I have my first classic car, a 1955 Buick Century. This is my first classic car although I've been working on and racing cars for decades. It will certainly be refreshing to work on a car where there aren't any electronics to speak of and room in the engine bay to move around a bit :)

My purchase came about while my wife and I were RVing with our grandsons to Grants Pass, Oregon, to take them white water rafting and jet boat riding. I was pulling our 5th wheel up hwy 199 and saw this gorgeous car in a lot and for the next 3 days it was all I could think about. Finally, the night before we were leaving I drove to the place to discover it was an auction house. I was given the opportunity to check the car over and even take it for a short drive. I was in love.

After a few days of negotiating by phone as we were traveling, I was able to buy the car before it went to auction. It is now being picked up by a transport company for delivery to my home in Carlsbad, CA.

The car seems in pretty good shape overall. Unfortunately there is zero documentation on what has been done but I will sort it all out soon enough. According to the auction house, the car was restored 4 years ago. The owner replaced the motor with a 401 Nailhead out of a 1964 Buick Wildcat along with it's 3 speed dynaflow. I have no real history with either of these so any info will be appreciated going forward. 

I am here to obviously learn from others and get information that I doubt I will be able to find anywhere else such as an explanation of the VIN number, help finding parts and hopefully a service manual, etc.

Here's one of my favorite views!

20180606_174026.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Congratulations on your purchase.  Nice looking car and it sounds as if you're going to enjoy it.  If the engine and transmission came from a 64 Wildcat, then the transmission is probably Buick's version of the TH400. Buick called it the ST400. ST for Super Turbine.  Let us no more about your car as you figure it out.  

It takes a lot of work to convert an early model car, such as yours, that had a closed drive shaft to an open drive shaft like you'd find in a 64. 

Welcome, Paul. Love to see additional pictures. Guessing you actually have a Turbo-Hydramatic 400 transmission (assuming so as you indicated it has three speeds and a Dynaflow would be low and drive only) which generally would require that the torque tube set up originally in the car be scrapped and an open driveshaft and extensive mounting of the rear axle be modified. (Just saw that Ed beat me to this...). In any event the car will be a lot of fun for you - enjoy!

Wow, thanks for the welcomes and info already! I'm so anxious to get the car home and in my garage to check it out better. As I said, I only got a short time to look it over so while I took a look underneath, I was mostly looking for rust, I never paid specific attention to the drive train. 

BTW, is there a place to go to interpret the VIN number?

20180606_173953.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Poppy's 55 said:

20180606_173953.jpg

DROOOL...  Love that 55 grill and bumper.   No decode on the VIN really, but under the hood on the right side there should be a body ID tag on the cowl that gives some good info.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Even without documentation you can hopefully  'reverse engineer it'.

That's what I'm thinking and hopefully I will get some help here.

I'm active on many forums for other vehicles so I hope this one is just as helpful although I don't know how active it is. I guess I have gotten quite a few responses here already so that certainly is encouraging.

And there's one vote for red which is my preference I think!

20180606_173850.jpg

I just noticed a later era tilt wheel in the one picture.  Looks like what I would call a resto-mod.  Restored and modernized. I'm betting you'll love it.  Classic looks with an updated drivetrain.  You be driving the wheels off of it.

• Like 2

If you put a photo of the cowl data plate Sean1999 can decode was it was when first made.

Obviously now, with replaced engine, transmission, rear end, steering wheel and who know what else that data will not mean much. Does it now have front disk brakes?

19 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

It looks like the "Banker's"  hot rod.  Bet she is with the 401 lurking under the hood.  Nice car. Enjoy!  

I've not heard that one yet. What is a "Banker's" hot rod?

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

I just noticed a later era tilt wheel in the one picture.  Looks like what I would call a resto-mod.  Restored and modernized. I'm betting you'll love it.  Classic looks with an updated drivetrain.  You be driving the wheels off of it.

I agree. I've been struggling with how to describe it. I found this:

• Restoration essentially refers to taking a great classic car and bringing it back to life with all (or most) of the original factory parts. The process involves repair of the visible parts (e.g., body trim, interior, etc.), as well as the parts not easily seen (e.g., electrical, suspension, brakes, etc.). The result is a beautifully preserved automobile in factory-new condition with authentic parts – just like it came off the showroom floor decades ago.
  • Restomod (restoration + modern parts/technology) draws from all the amazing advancements in automobile technology over the past 40+ years to enhance the performance, comfort and safety of the classic car. A restomod car has the timeless appearance of the original, but the outdated guts of the car have been replaced with the more modern, high-performance parts of today. You achieve the same great look, but your vintage car will be revved up with all the latest bells and whistles to create a much better ride for the owner. Learn why we prefer restomodding over auto restoration

12 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

If you put a photo of the cowl data plate Sean1999 can decode was it was when first made.

Obviously now, with replaced engine, transmission, rear end, steering wheel and who know what else that data will not mean much. Does it now have front disk brakes?

As soon as I get the car I will do this, thanks!

5 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

There are a LOT of nice cars scattered across Oregon ....

That is Beautiful !

Jim

I just noticed you are an auto transporter? Wish I'd known that sooner. My wife googled auto transporters on our way home to start arranging transport and now we're getting dozens of emails and text messages from all these "brokers". It's driving me crazy :) I was lucky in that my nephew is the Executive Director of Hot August Nights in Reno and he hooked me up HAN's auction group who hooked me up with my transporter. Once I get the car here to do some clean up and fix a couple things, we will trailer it to Reno for Hot August Nights. Not to show it but just to cruise and hang out. It's a great event but I suspect most folks here know about it already.

1 hour ago, Poppy's 55 said:

I've not heard that one yet. What is a "Banker's" hot rod?

Back in the day these Buicks with the nailheads were affectionately called "The Banker's hot rod" as they were fast for the time.   

In the 1950s and 1960s, Buick was known for its combination of tasteful styling and high performance. Its buyers were doctors, lawyers, local bank presidents and other professionals who weren’t earning quite enough money to buy Cadillacs.

Back then, Buick was called “the banker’s hot rod” for its deceptive power under the hood. 

Now that yours has a 401 it should cook the pavement at the rear tires. :)  

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2011/09/rick_haglund_buick_isnt_just_f.html

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

Back in the day these Buicks with the nailheads were affectionately called "The Banker's hot rod" as they were fast for the time.   

In the 1950s and 1960s, Buick was known for its combination of tasteful styling and high performance. Its buyers were doctors, lawyers, local bank presidents and other professionals who weren’t earning quite enough money to buy Cadillacs.

Back then, Buick was called “the banker’s hot rod” for its deceptive power under the hood. 

Now that yours has a 401 it should cook the pavement at the rear tires. :)  

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2011/09/rick_haglund_buick_isnt_just_f.html

Thanks so much for the reference! That's awesome stuff. 

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Trailer it to hot august nights?

I'm not sure what you question is?

1 hour ago, Poppy's 55 said:

I'm not sure what you question is?

Well, some (myself included) think Buicks were built to be driven.  So I was surprised to think one would be trailered to Hot August nights.

IMG_8844.JPG.72bfc8b0b291f9455651e7401ad79878.JPG

46 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Well, some (myself included) think Buicks were built to be driven.  So I was surprised to think one would be trailered to Hot August nights.

I think Buicks and every other car were built and meant to be driven. I don't even have this car yet so it will take some time to sort it out. I have no idea if it can handle a drive around town let alone a 1,100 mile round trip road trip! To say nothing for the A/C comfort of my Denali on a long trip.

But, to each their own!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Poppy's 55 said:

I think Buicks and every other car were built and meant to be driven. I don't even have this car yet so it will take some time to sort it out. I have no idea if it can handle a drive around town let alone a 1,100 mile round trip road trip! To say nothing for the A/C comfort of my Denali on a long trip.

But, to each their own!

I apologize if I offended you.  I was trying to be light hearted about it, but appear to have failed.  I understand your reasoning, and it make sense.  I wish you good luck with your beautiful Buick.

4 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I apologize if I offended you.  I was trying to be light hearted about it, but appear to have failed.  I understand your reasoning, and it make sense.  I wish you good luck with your beautiful Buick.

I hate the internet. A re-read of my response does sound a little harsh. No offense received or intended. I come in peace to read and learn and no way I want a reputation of a short fuse or anything. I'm a good guy, really and glad to be here! :)

• Like 5

Hey Poppy Paul,  first off, welcome to the Buick Forum and hope you will make this a regular pit stop!  Secondly since your '55 Century fits the category of Buick Modified, I have moved your thread here to the Modified Forum. And man what a Buickful and fine example of modified or resto-mod it is. It is obvious the previous owner spared no expense and had to be proud of the extensive work they put into it!  Hopefully you will join the Buick Club of America and I am sure the BCA Modified Division would love to have you join their ranks.  I'm sure you will find lots of help and camaraderie here, so again welcome aboard!!!

Oh and might I suggest having those wheels chromed and leaving the Buick hubcaps. I have pictures of an exceptionally well done modified '54 in Texas with that treatment and have plans to do same to mt Century some day. I'll try and find the pictures, I think you'll like them.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing what all was done to the car. From the looks of the front wheels and steering column it may have had a complete front end transplant, perhaps from a Nova. Awesome!!

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Hey Poppy Paul,  first off, welcome to the Buick Forum and hope you will make this a regular pit stop!  Secondly since your '55 Century fits the category of Buick Modified, I have moved your thread here to the Modified Forum. And man what a Buickful and fine example of modified or resto-mod it is. It is obvious the previous owner spared no expense and had to be proud of the extensive work they put into it!  Hopefully you will join the Buick Club of America and I am sure the BCA Modified Division would love to have you join their ranks.  I'm sure you will find lots of help and camaraderie here, so again welcome aboard!!!

Thank you MrEarl! I have read many of your posts already and was kinda hoping you would notice my new Buick! Thanks for moving my thread to the correct spot. I want to join the BCA but the 3 different memberships seems confusing to me. They all seem to have the same level of benefits but 3 different costs? Any help with that? Also, Is the BCA Modified Division a separate club or just a section in the forum?

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Oh and might I suggest having those wheels chromed and leaving the Buick hubcaps. I have pictures of an exceptionally well done modified '54 in Texas with that treatment and have plans to do same to mt Century some day. I'll try and find the pictures, I think you'll like them.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing what all was done to the car. From the looks of the front wheels and steering column it may have had a complete front end transplant, perhaps from a Nova. Awesome!!

I would absolutely love to see those pictures! We have considered chrome but I was holding off until I can evaluate the operational systems to see what money I may have to spend there.  BTW, as far as the front end goes, that is the immediate area of concern after my test drive. The car wanted to wander and the entire front end felt very light and loose. I will be taking it to a well known front end / suspension shop in San Diego as soon as it arrives.

Edited by Poppy's 55 (see edit history)

I’d have no qualms about trailering or driving to HAN.Done both been there7 times. Last 3 times we took the motorhome and trailer and stayed in an RV park at Sparks. I like the convenience of being able to have your own “base” so to speak. I do what I want and make no apologies to the drivem or trailerem camp.

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2018 at 11:34 AM, Poppy's 55 said:

I would absolutely love to see those pictures! We have considered chrome

Well looks like 8 years has fogged my memory of the chrome wheels. Apparently I am confusing reality with what I had thought would look good with the deep set rims, beauty rings and original Buick hubcaps IE chrome rims. BUT here is a good shot of the red that Willie mentioned. Sorry about the confusion

100_9341.jpg

100_9345.jpg

100_9344.jpg

100_9352.jpg

100_9354.jpg

100_9335.jpg

100_9337.jpg

custom shock job on a 54

100_9356.jpg

Can't believe it's been 8 years since the good times were had at this meet in Fredricksburg Texas. A good time was had by all, great folks them Texans.

100_9348.jpg

This is the little Texas Pete Special I picked up on the trip. Had dreams to turn it into a period correct street rod, ie nothing that would not have been available in say 1958 or so. Plans changed when I found the '54 Century with 3 speed and bought it, sold the Texas Pete to my mail man who absolutely loves it.

100_9372.jpg

100_9366.jpg

100_9394.jpg

100_9443.jpg

100_9455.jpg

100_9461.jpg

By the way thanks for pressing me to pull up the pictures, brought back some good memories.

Look forward to following your adventures with that beautiful custom '55. Buick on brother.....

• Like 1

Thanks so much for those pics Lamar. I just love these cars and can't wait to get to know mine better. And, you just had to post those shots with your garage in the background didn't you? What a spot.

I got an email on Monday telling me it should arrive today. We'll see about that.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 3:35 AM, MrEarl said:

100_9461.jpg

By the way thanks for pressing me to pull up the pictures, brought back some good memories.

Look forward to following your adventures with that beautiful custom '55. Buick on brother.....

MrEarl,

Where is this?  It's a beautiful setting...if I were to guess - Heaven?  haha.

Chris

Well the car arrived as promised but it doesn't run for crap. I've been working on it for the past few days and it's getting close but I think I'll take it to a local shop for some help. A little disappointed but it will be hunky-dory soon.

20180620_173349.jpg

Another shot of the rear end setup.

Also, the previous owner has obviously lowered the front some and it didn't come out very good. The passenger's side is a tad over 1 inch lower than the driver's side. That won't sit well with my OCD self. i suspect he maybe cut the springs to do this and maybe didn't do them the same or what?  What should I look for to fix it?

20180620_174109.jpg

12 hours ago, Poppy's 55 said:

Another shot of the rear end setup.

Also, the previous owner has obviously lowered the front some and it didn't come out very good. The passenger's side is a tad over 1 inch lower than the driver's side. That won't sit well with my OCD self. i suspect he maybe cut the springs to do this and maybe didn't do them the same or what?  What should I look for to fix it?

20180620_174109.jpg

I had the same issue on my Riviera though.  Make sure all the parts are there for the spring assembly.  I was missing a perch.  I ended up fabbing my own perches.  It helped equalize the height.

• Like 1