Sign in to follow this  
future_with_riviera

1959 Mercury Montery front brake drums

I am trying to figure where I can find the right part for my Mercury.

I already ordered a new drum from Rockauto by searching with the right model/make/year and they send me the part but it does not fit! The part they send me has bolt pattern 5*4.5 but I measured my car has 5*5 bolt pattern. Rockauto must have a wrong data in their database for this car. The drum they send me is pronto BD8200 and as I said it does not fit. Or then the brakes in my car are not original, but I doubt that.

To my surprise Summit has exactly the same misinformation as they would also want to send me a part with bolt pattern of 5*4.5. The part they have is brand Raybestos.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/agb-2620r/overview/year/1959/make/mercury/model/monterey

Mercury part number is probably MG 1125B.

I am really having a hard time to find the right part anywhere. Based on the measurements the drum is 11 inches, 3 inches wide(maybe?) and should have a bolt pattern of 5*5.

Any help to find the right part much appreciated.

future,

I looked on Mac's Antique Auto Parts website and they show two different brake shoes;  one is 11 1/32" by 2 1/2" wide and the other is 11 1/32" by 3" wide.

This makes me wonder if you have a "police" or "taxi" or "heavy duty" brake option on your Mercury.  Or is your Mercury a station wagon ?

NAPA Auto Parts shows brake shoes in the 2 1/2" and 3" widths for a 1959 Mercury Monterey, but only drums in the 2 1/2" width.

Edited by wldavis
correct spelling (see edit history)

future,

i received an email from Kanter Auto Products in Boonton, NJ.  I thought about looking for 3" wide drums for your car as they had an advertisement for

brake parts.  Yes, they do offer a 3" wide drum for your car.  But, you should contact them to make sure the drum has five studs on a 5" bolt circle.

Front Brake drum without hub 3 in with 5X5 bolt pattern Ford   #  MG125B also fits  58 Edsel Corsair and Citation,  57 Merc 368 engine, 57 Merc wagon, 58 Merc with 3 inch brakes, all 59-60 Merc full size.  This is from Hollander Their interchange # is 750.Maybe this helps.

misterc9,

So, this Mercury has the optional 3" brakes, but they were offered for the front only ?  The front brake drums are the 5X5 bolt pattern and the rear is 5X4.5 ?

Or does this car have 3" brakes all around ?

48 minutes ago, wldavis said:

misterc9,

So, this Mercury has the optional 3" brakes, but they were offered for the front only ?  The front brake drums are the 5X5 bolt pattern and the rear is 5X4.5 ?

Or does this car have 3" brakes all around ?

I don't think any manufacturer would put two different bolt patterns on the same car.

• Like 1