1933 Dodge

My expertise is in Plymouths but starting in 1933 Dodge and Plymouth shared a lot of common mechanical parts. So take the following for what it is worth, anyway:

• The engine block looks correct for 1933 & 1934 as the outline of the cylinder bores are visible. In 1935 they went to a full length water jacket and those were no longer visible.
  • The thermostat housing looks incorrect for 1933 but could be correct for 1934 depending on trim level.
  • I would have expected to see an automatic clutch unit blocking the view of the starter and master cylinder. That was an option but your car looks pretty well decked out.
  • The master cylinder looks different from the original for Plymouth and I suspect Dodge. More like a later 1930s cylinder.
  • The engine number is stamped on the block above the generator. It will start with the engineering code for the car it was originally installed. For 1933 those will be "DP" and "DO". For 1934 it would be "DR" or "DS". If a Plymouth engine was fitted then the code will start with a "P".
  • At least on my 1933 Plymouth, the original engine number is stamped on the side of the frame rail on the driver's (left) side between the running board supports.
  • In the US that body style was marketed as a "convertible coupe".
  • North American built cars have a serial number tag located on the passenger (right) side door hinge post. It will be just a number, but number sequences were assigned to specific build runs in specific assembly plants so you can figure out what factory it was assembled in and about how far through the production run.
  • Chrysler had assembly plants in England and Europe at a that time, so they may have had a different convention for serial numbers, etc.
  • If US built, you should be able to request the "build card" from the Chrysler Historical Collection which will give the original engine number, body number, options and where the car was shipped to. If not US built, then I don't think you will be able to find a source for the build information.
  • I am not familiar enough with the details of body and trim for Dodge to comment on them but they look reasonable.
  • Despite the above, I was under the impression that all Chrysler open cars of that era had the dash painted the body color. Your dash is a different color than the body. Possibly an incorrect restoration. Or I am wrong.
  • Firewall is black. That is correct, at least on Plymouth the engine firewall is black regardless of body color.

Looks like a nice clean and fairly original car, congratulations!

Edit: Looking further:

• Your carburetor looks newer than 1933 as it has a stiffening web between the float bowl and air horn.
  • Your air filter matches the on that I've seen on lots of 1933 Plymouth.
  • Generator cutout looks wrong. I suspect the generator is wrong too. Both look later.
  • Starter looks correct
  • Ignition coil looks correct.
Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

Beautiful car, I'll let others who know more chime in but looks pretty original to me. The only thing I see would be the dash would have been black, the glove box and the matching piece above the steering column that has the light switch would have been wood grained. I know that's true for closed cars but not 100% on open cars. I've had a few 33 Plymouth convertibles but so nice to see a Dodge.

Thank you for sharing!

Is the tag on the firewall above the steering column the model, body type and body number? Mine is DC-SED-547 or something similar. I also have a similar shaped tag on my firewall (1930) high up on the right hand side that says who made it. Mine is Canadian made so it says Dodge Brothers (Canada) Ltd. with the DB circular logo on the left.

It even has added on trafficators. Were they are legal requirement in Denmark or anywhere else in Europe? They were in Britain, I believe. Maybe it has spent time in GB.

Why has that front core plug (just above the block drain) got a bolt or something in it?

Should the hubcaps have DODGE stamped in them?

4 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Why has that front core plug (just above the block drain) got a bolt or something in it?

Should the hubcaps have DODGE stamped in them?

Looks like a temporary expandable plug, the type that might be installed by a owner on the side of the road for an emergency repair and ought to be replaced with a proper expansion plug as soon as possible.

Seems like the Dodge cars of that era I've seen have "DODGE" stamped in them. Maybe this car has aftermarket replacements on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice car Michael .... Looks pretty much original as others have noted ... What 2 letters are at the start of the engine number .. e.g.: mine is DR 69**** denoting 1934 ... That should confirm it is the correct year .. also are there 2 letters cast in the head  .. between the 3rd row from the back head stud bolts on the manifold side

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Michael Denmark said:

Door tag : 3657486

Engine no : DR-50894

Firewall tag : 136900

Door tag is the serial number. You should be able to send that to the Chrysler Historical Collection along with some money and proof of ownership and get a copy of the "build card". For my '33 Plymouth the build card lists the accessories installed at the factory, the original engine number, body number, and dealer the car was shipped to.

FWIW, my VIN decoder & serial number look up tool at http://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin returns the following:

Serial Number 3657486
Found in range 3579001 to 3678655
Serial 78486 of 99655
Year 1933
Make Dodge
Model Name Six
Model Code DP
Plant Detroit
Engine 6 cylinder 201.3 cu.in. L-head
Wheelbase 115 inches