Early Buick Carburetor Identification

DavidMc

My 1920 and 1922 6-Cylinder Buicks use a Marvel with the brass float bowl like this one has.  They also have the drum style choke housing like this one has.  This unit is plumbed for the inlet and return exhaust pre-heater muff.  I believe the 1923 models

were the first to feature the infamous rust-out prone heat riser tube.  This unit does not have that feature.  I hope someone will chime in and correct me if 1923 was not the first year.  With all of that said, I'll venture to say that this is off a 1922 model.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Thanks for the identification.   Hopefully someone needs it.  The choke drum is seized in the barrel, I would think it can be freed with some heat.  Fortunately it is brass and cast iron, no pot metal. 

4 hours ago, DavidMc said:

Thanks for the identification.   Hopefully someone needs it.  The choke drum is seized in the barrel, I would think it can be freed with some heat.  Fortunately it is brass and cast iron, no pot metal. 

I freed my choke drum by soaking it in vinegar and tapping it with a hammer, then filed off all the rust. The brass was fine.

This looks to be a 1923 Buick 6 and 1923-24 Buick 4 (Model K) carburetor.  I have looked at the photos of the 1922 (model H) and 1924 Buick 6 (Model R) and those carburetors are different.  The listing shows some internal part differences for the 2 engine sizes.  The brass bowl does fit multiple years.    Hugh

IMG_6326.JPG.438c1b7a50115b795890bcd8596e7a92.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Well, Hugh, ain't you just special here?.  It looks like you nailed it pretty close.  HOWEVER, (and there always has to be a however stuck in there somewhere) my 1922 Model 48 came from the factory with the Marvel carburetor that has the dashpot

on the bottom side of the unit.  In the scheme of things the frame number on this car indicates that it was built late in the production year for this model.  Back in the day I don't think that Buick held back installing the newer units on the vehicles that were

coming off the assembly lines until the next years models went into production.  It is entirely possible that the newer units were phased into use as they became available.  What the service and replacement parts manuals refer to, in some cases, did

not keep pace with what was actually happening out in the field.  In this case, you are correct with what was specified for the 1923 models as per the Buick Motor Company Engineering Department.  One question for you here - what is the printing date

for the manual that you are referencing here?

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Terry,

Here are the pages for the 1922 (model H) and 1924 Buick 6 (Model R).   These are from the thick 1916-1932 Buick parts book.  I think around 1931 is the printing date on this section.  Very possible that improvements were introduced prior to regular calendar dates on the model years, or later if they wanted to use up older parts.  The fact that the carburetors are essentially 1 model year specific tells me that improvements were rapid in these early days.  Buick was big on quality and they may have done things to improve the breed as necessary rather than duplicating the same older technology till the end of the model year.  I have also seen that if you went to a dealer for repairs, they would have installed a "newer" part if it did the trick.  Very evident in seeing newer year replacement radiators and shells listed for older models in the spare parts book.    Hugh

1949164826_BuickCarb1922.JPG.871d1866304bf25737bcdae9be110925.JPG

227554236_BuickCarb19246cyl.JPG.a10c4b696a74080b26fb876083360c67.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

My 1920 and 1922 6-Cylinder Buicks use a Marvel with the brass float bowl like this one has.  They also have the drum style choke housing like this one has.  This unit is plumbed for the inlet and return exhaust pre-heater muff.  I believe the 1923 models

were the first to feature the infamous rust-out prone heat riser tube.  This unit does not have that feature.  I hope someone will chime in and correct me if 1923 was not the first year.  With all of that said, I'll venture to say that this is off a 1922 model.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Rust prone heat riser tube was new for the 1924 6 cylinder.  Better known as the Mark Shaw Peace (or was it pieces?) Pipe. Or the Pope Pipe, very Holy.  Hey, I'm here all week folks. . . .and no cover charge.

This looks just like my 1923 Marvel I have on my 6 and I see above Hugh has once again done the detective work.  Thank you.

Just like Delco with the starter/generators, the part numbers change almost every year with the Marvels.  Now with that said, I believe the Marvels can and do interchange for 6s year to year (but don't quote me on that) but I would hope newer is better, and lots of changes to everything in 1924 on the whole car not just engine. 

Not so with the S/Gs interchanging year to year, Delco made sure of that, I think to sell more service parts under the guise of incremental improvement.  Make sure to get that (correct) stamped 3 digit part number on the S/G by the tag when buying one.

And as been mentioned many times here, most all of the Buick 4 and 6 parts for the entire car, not just the engine do not interchange.  So far I know the clutch discs interchange 6 to 4. 

• Like 3

Also note above in the parts list, the High Speed Jets are not common in 4 to 6 Marvels yet the Marvel outside letter designation is common.  So you could have the correct carb. or at least think you do but with the wrong jet.  I'd bet there is more than one 6 running around (poorly) with a 4 cylinder jet but the correct letter housing.  Thanks Marvel.

The name Marvel reminds me of the sign on the way to work for Mr. Sparky the electrician chain.  No thanks, but do you have the # for Mr. Safe-n-Licensed?

Need to find the pic of the Model T Ford fire engine at the annual Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village with the sign, Same Day Service.

Oh look, here comes the nurse with my pills . . .

• Like 3

• 4 months later...