Centurion

1938 Buick Series 90 with French coachwork

I noticed this 1938 Limited offered on Hemmings, and quickly realized that it's one that I had not previously seen.

The car has evidently received a BCA Senior award during the past.

I'm curious whether anyone here is familiar with the car and knows which French coach builder constructed this car's body.  Does anyone know more about this one?  I would love to know this Buick's story.

france-1.jpg

france-2.jpg

france-3.jpg

france-4.jpg

france-5.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Does that say BINDER on the little plaque above the division winder handle in the rear seat shot? Henri Binder was a French coachbuilder. 

• Like 1

Thank you, nzcarnerd, this is very helpful!  

I'm curious whether others here might have seen this car when it received its BCA Senior award?  

Clearly, a very special car, and one that would be fascinating to learn more about.

There are 9 pages of BCA Senior Cars listed in the current membership roster. I just went through the list and found one 1938 90-series car owned by a James Pascoe of Escanaba, Michigan, having received Senior status at the 1995 BCA national meet. I think that meet was in Chicago. I was there, but do not remember this car.

There was a very similar car at the Allentown, PA. meet a couple of years ago, but it was black and I think a 1937 from North Carolina.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you, Pete.  This is indeed the same car.

And I connected on another forum with an individual who inspected the car with hopes of buying.  He has confirmed that the car has a Binder body.

11 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

There are 9 pages of BCA Senior Cars listed in the current membership roster. I just went through the list and found one 1938 90-series car owned by a James Pascoe of Escanaba, Michigan, having received Senior status at the 1995 BCA national meet. I think that meet was in Chicago. I was there, but do not remember this car.

There was a very similar car at the Allentown, PA. meet a couple of years ago, but it was black and I think a 1937 from North Carolina.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Re the '37 you mentioned I did see a 1937 with a Franay body when searching for info on the Binder car.

And then there is that more flamboyant '38 with the Fernandez and Darrin body.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

The 1937 is a Franay bodied towncar owned by Ashby Armistead. This photo does not show the trunk well, but I like the rear view of that 1938 better than the Franay custom work on the rear of the 1937.

DSC_0637.JPG

• Like 2

The Franay-bodied town car is, according to my notes, built on the Roadmaster chassis.

Part of what makes this Binder-bodied town car so impressive is its use of the longer Series 90 Limited chassis.

Photos of the Franay Towncar taken at Charlotte April 2016.

Don

IMG_0184.JPG.3e2b2159a73248ee58739ed6170d54fb.JPGIMG_0185.JPG.406a53f8cb056daeae72f029bede1aaa.JPGIMG_0186.JPG.c0de1b7e9707bc4e3b776e1a4ad4865a.JPGIMG_0187.JPG.feaae728ce101033c2f5a870ef2b8ccf.JPGMore

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:38 PM, Pete Phillips said:

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Pete

I believe this is the same car I saw at the 1995 meet in Danvers, Mass

Great looking Buick.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Centurion said:

I noticed this 1938 Limited offered on Hemmings, and quickly realized that it's one that I had not previously seen.

The car has evidently received a BCA Senior award during the past.

I'm curious whether anyone here is familiar with the car and knows which French coach builder constructed this car's body.  Does anyone know more about this one?  I would love to know this Buick's story.

france-1.jpg

france-2.jpg

france-3.jpg

france-4.jpg

france-5.jpg

Brian

Thanks for starting this thread.

If this is the same Buick I saw at the Danvers, Mass meet in 1995, it was stunning.

I wonder if it sold? What was the asking price?

Thanks for posting.

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)