Brake Fluid, Booster

Detroit57Bird

My brake fluid was extremely low but there is no leaking.  A shop said they assume it was being burned by the engine via the remote brake booster unit. Any insight on this from anyone?  what is the best course of action?  Should I replace or rebuild this unit? Is it difficult to rebuild?  parts available?  Thank you!

Brake fluid burns as a white smoke out of the exhaust (not blue white like oil).  Look for it when the engine is at high vacuum, idling or when you close the throttle quickly.  If you see the white smoke, then it is the booster.  If not, it may be the booster or something else.  When did you last check the brake fluid.  How long and how much driving did it take to get low?  Did it evaporate?  Don't assume it's the booster yet.

First thank you for your help!  This reduction in the brake fluid level has happened a couple times in the past and seems to be erratic in occurring (?).  The fluid level was full late last summer but I didnt check it before winter storage. I'll estimate it was driven a couple hundred miles in the fall and has only been driven a couple hundred miles so far this year.  I haven't really seen much in the way of smoke in the exhaust. The brakes/fluid were bled and refilled 2 weeks ago now.  I'll look this evening and see if there was a change in level.  There are no visible signs of brake fluid leak nor has there been in the past.   Thank you for any ideas!!